Q. I have lost confidence to talk with people. Please help.

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 20, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

I am 25 years old female. I have some problem due to some failures. I have lost confidence and whenever I write any exam my heartbeat and pulse increases and I start shivering despite I knew all the things. And when I meet any person I do not have enough confidence to talk with him freely and I think what he will think of me. I do not know what is this problem and this is ruining my life. Please help me. This problem is there for past three years.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

The problem is occurring due to poor confidence most likely due to social anxiety. Please visit a psychiatrist for help. SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) drugs like Escitalopram or Fluoxetine can be used to reduce the symptoms and will surely help you.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

| 

Thnk you doctor,

Along with these symptoms, I also feel like stomach nervousness type. Please advise the name and dosage of these medicines.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

Sometimes repetitive failures or setbacks in life result in learned helplessness. This means individuals lose their confidence, even if they are doing good in anything they will think negative. This result in the development of depressive symptoms and anxiety. You have developed social anxiety most likely due to this. Anxiety in talking with strangers, losing confidence, palpitations, an anxiety of being judged, etc., are part of social anxiety.

But if treatment is taken and proper behavioral modifications are done then most individuals come out of symptoms. Try to reassure yourself again and again that there is nothing abnormal. Try to suppress the ideas that the other person will judge you. Spend at least half to one hour in the exercise which will improve the confidence.

Low dose Escitalopram (Nexito or Stalopam or Censpram) 5 to 10 mg can be started. The drug should be taken regularly after breakfast. In around 2 to 4 weeks you will start seeing improvement. The doses can be stopped after gradual tapering in 6 to 12 weeks. To reduce the episodic exacerbations like in exams or in talking with someone where you do not feel confident the drugs like Propranolol in 10 to 20 mg dose can be used. The drug if taken around half to one hour before any anxiety-provoking situation prevents the development of anxiety. Take care.

|