Q. I am not getting deep sleep during night for the past one week. Why?

Dr. Vandana Patidar
This is a premium question & answer published on May 27, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 06, 2020

It has been a week now and yet I feel like I do not get enough sleep. I would sleep from 1 AM onwards but tend to wake up every hour and my sleep feels like it is not in deep sleep. I could get a deep sleep only aound morning 5-6 AM and woke up at 10-11 AM. Please help.

Dr. Vandana Patidar

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sleep Medicine
#

Yes, this pandemic is causing a lot of stress in everybody is mind. We all processing information at the conscious subconscious and unconscious level of our brain. Sometimes that is to this kind of disturbance in biological rhythms.

Along with that at times people start having anxiety of not falling asleep. So do not worry just follow some sleep hygiene measures.

Try some sleep hygiene measures.

1) Wake up at the same time every day.

2) If after lying down you are not able to sleep for 10 to 15 minutes then get up from bedsit on a table chair and start reading something.

3) Do not take any tea or coffee after 6 PM.

4) Listen to some white noise or light music.

Start some exercise on a routine basis that will keep you fit and will release some and will release endorphins in your brain that will relax your mind. Start Pranayama and meditation.

| 
Hi doc! Thank you so much for your response. It made me relieved knowing that there is no problem with me. I just thought that why is it hard for me to sleep when in the past few years its not. Do you think doc i could still get back to what i used to do? I mean could I still go back to my normal sleeping hygiene? The thing that stresses me the most is the thought of I will not be able to sleep.

Dr. Vandana Patidar

# yes you can
you some sleep hygiene
sleep anxiety is a major issue try to relax yourself as much as possible

| 

Could my insomnia be due to increase in Zoloft dosage?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been taking 100 mg of Zoloft for a number of years. On 14th, my doctor added another 50 mg which I take at bedtime. For the past few days, I have been experiencing severe insomnia and can rarely sleep for more than an hour at a time. In addition, I have begun taking 25 mg of Se...  Read Full »

My ECG shows irregular beats. Can this be due to stress and lack of sleep?

Query: Hello doctor, I have taken my ECG using a device. I have been getting these irregular beats for about a week. Sometimes I think I have been getting some slight chest pain also but not sure if that is a placebo-like effect or not. My uncle who is a doctor thinks they are ectopic beats in relation to...  Read Full »

Stress causes stiffness in my neck and back. What can be done about it?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a stiffness of neck and pain which continues to the back further. This often happens when a stressful situation arises, which also raises my BP. Worries related to health and other life concerns keep bothering me. Please suggest.  Read Full »

Ask a Sleep Medicine Physician Now