Q. Is it normal to have high BP at the time of headache?

Dr. Talal Hussain
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 02, 2020

I am a 26 year old male. My height is 5'8" and weight is 75 kg. For two weeks, I have been having a lot of gas and burping without any other discomfort. Due to my tough work schedule in the last week I slept only 3 to 4 hours every day. Now from the last four days, I am feeling pressure and pain in my upper neck muscles just below the head. Also, my head is feeling heavy and I have slight ear pressure in my right ear. I had some difficulty in breathing, but it was fine after I had burps and removed the gas from my body. My BP is 130/100 mmHg on average, which was 135/110 mmHg on the first day of the headaches. It has been one day that I started taking Capoten 25 mg. Even after taking complete bed rest for two days, still I have neck pain and gas problem. Kindly please advice on the matter. Also, what should I do now?

#

I have understood your problem and must say that it is quite a common complaint to my clinic.

• Here you must understand is that the hormones in our bodies have a lot of important functions including like sleep, mental well being, ability to fight infection, digestion, etc.
  • Sleep is one of the main factors that lead to hormone release in a timely manner. So, for the past one week you have had decreased sleep, which has lead to stomach problems.
  • Secondly, you have mentioned about pain in the neck muscles, headache and ear discomfort, which can all together be a different issue like ear congestion. Many of my patients with mental stress or sleep deprivation usually complain of neck stiffness.
  • I have also noticed that acidity due to stomach problems does sometime manifest as sore throat and dry cough, which in turn might even cause nose blockage and ear discomfort.
  • Thirdly, you talked about your blood pressure of around 130/100 mmHg. Well to that I say if you are not hypertensive before, then I would not label you as a hypertensive patient.
  • High blood pressure is a common response to physical stress like headache, pain at any other site, etc. Therefore, I would first suggest you to get a pain killer like Acetaminophen rather than going for Capoten (Captopril). Also, I give my patient antihypertensive only when I am sure that they can be labeled as hypertensive.
  • Now, I suggest you should do the following things:
  1. Have a good amount of sleep for at least 7 hours and it would be better if you sleep as early as possible at night like 9 PM or 10 PM.
  2. I suggest a proton pump inhibitor such as Pantoprazole 40 mg once daily before breakfast for three to four days, pain killer such as Acetaminophen (Panadol) twice daily to relieve your pain and antihistamine like Ebastine (Kestin) once in the morning for three days, which will help you with your ear discomfort.
  3. As far as your neck stiffness is concerned, I would say if it still persist even after all these measures only then would suggest a muscle relaxant. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

Sleep deprivation and increased physical stress.

Acute otitis media.

GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease).

PPI and antihistamine.

Avoid sleep deprivation.

For further information consult a general practitioner online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|