Q. Is it normal to have high BP at the time of headache?

Dr. Talal Hussain
Published on Aug 10, 2016

I am a 26 year old male. My height is 5'8" and weight is 75 kg. For two weeks, I have been having a lot of gas and burping without any other discomfort. Due to my tough work schedule in the last week I slept only 3 to 4 hours every day. Now from the last four days, I am feeling pressure and pain in my upper neck muscles just below the head. Also, my head is feeling heavy and I have slight ear pressure in my right ear. I had some difficulty in breathing, but it was fine after I had burps and removed the gas from my body. My BP is 130/100 mmHg on average, which was 135/110 mmHg on the first day of the headaches. It has been one day that I started taking Capoten 25 mg. Even after taking complete bed rest for two days, still I have neck pain and gas problem. Kindly please advice on the matter. Also, what should I do now?

Dr. Talal Hussain

Internal Medicine
#

I have understood your problem and must say that it is quite a common complaint to my clinic.

• Here you must understand is that the hormones in our bodies have a lot of important functions including like sleep, mental well being, ability to fight infection, digestion, etc.
  • Sleep is one of the main factors that lead to hormone release in a timely manner. So, for the past one week you have had decreased sleep, which has lead to stomach problems.
  • Secondly, you have mentioned about pain in the neck muscles, headache and ear discomfort, which can all together be a different issue like ear congestion. Many of my patients with mental stress or sleep deprivation usually complain of neck stiffness.
  • I have also noticed that acidity due to stomach problems does sometime manifest as sore throat and dry cough, which in turn might even cause nose blockage and ear discomfort.
  • Thirdly, you talked about your blood pressure of around 130/100 mmHg. Well to that I say if you are not hypertensive before, then I would not label you as a hypertensive patient.
  • High blood pressure is a common response to physical stress like headache, pain at any other site, etc. Therefore, I would first suggest you to get a pain killer like Acetaminophen rather than going for Capoten (Captopril). Also, I give my patient antihypertensive only when I am sure that they can be labeled as hypertensive.
  • Now, I suggest you should do the following things:
  1. Have a good amount of sleep for at least 7 hours and it would be better if you sleep as early as possible at night like 9 PM or 10 PM.
  2. I suggest a proton pump inhibitor such as Pantoprazole 40 mg once daily before breakfast for three to four days, pain killer such as Acetaminophen (Panadol) twice daily to relieve your pain and antihistamine like Ebastine (Kestin) once in the morning for three days, which will help you with your ear discomfort.
  3. As far as your neck stiffness is concerned, I would say if it still persist even after all these measures only then would suggest a muscle relaxant. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

Sleep deprivation and increased physical stress.

Acute otitis media.

GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease).

PPI and antihistamine.

Avoid sleep deprivation.

For further information consult a general practitioner online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

I have GERD. Can you suggest any treament?

Query: Hello Doctor, I have been suffering from stomach ulcer for the past 2 years. Till now the ulcer was not severe, but since few days I have been having stomach pain everytime after having food. Doctor diagnosed that, I have GERD. But even then I faced GERD problems rarely. But for the past 3 weeks ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. At the age of 24 year it is unlikely that you have ulcer in the stomach. It could be GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) that is causing all these symptoms, but after long time it may cause ulcer. If you are not responding to PPIs (Proton-Pump Inhibitors) then it co...  Read Full

Taking Pantoprazole for GERD. Is any drug interactions between Pantoprazole and Voltaren?

Query: Hello doctor, I am on 40 mg Pantoprazole twice a day for GERD. I just took 50 mg Voltaren for a bad back and I am worried sick. I checked online and it said no drug interactions. I have not yet taken my nightly dose of Pantoprazole, should I not take it?  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query. There are no drug interactions between Pantoprozole and Diclofenac (Voltaren). In fact, anyone who takes painkillers like Diclofenac has to take Pantoprazole to prevent Diclofenac-induced gastritis. So, relax and take the regular dose of Pa...  Read Full

Does the blood pressure medication could cause headaches?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 50 year old female. I have aches in my limbs and thighs especially at night. It is often characterized by heaviness in limbs. I am getting headache chiefly in left side of the head. I am taking painkiller at least once in a week for the same. I am taking Newtel 40 mg for blood pres...  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First tell me in detail about your headache to help you in better way. What is the quality of your headache? Is it either pulsatile which means tis-tis or squeezing or aching? Do you have any associated symptoms like nausea, vomiting, facial swelling, difficulty ...  Read Full

Ask a General Practitioner Now