Q. An inflammed tissue in the right side of my throat is irritating. What could it be?

Dr. Prasun Mishra

For the past seven months, I have been having the following symptoms. They have gotten progressively worse, until the point where it is severely affecting my quality of life to where it is hard to function in a normal lifestyle.

I have this really irritated, inflamed, and damaged area of tissue on the right side of my throat. The area is white, and it is covering the bottom half of my vocal cords. I taste blood and pus. I have an earache in one ear, the same side that the throat irritation is on. I feel weak, faint, and dizzy. My nostrils are blocked. I do not have a runny nose. I do not have a regular stopped up nose either when I blow my nose nothing comes out. It just feels like the back of my nostrils are blocked. I have a lot of trouble breathing, which causes my heart to beat very fast. I breathe through my mouth, but it is not the same. I have no heart condition, and my pulse never raced before this started happening. My blood pressure is fine. I have tried nose sprays to open up my nose, sinus congestion medications, allergy medications. I do not have any allergies.

When the symptoms first started they were not bad, but only got progressively worse. I went to my primary care physician. I was put on antibiotics. While I was on the antibiotics and for about a week after my symptoms disappeared, but then they came back. I went back to my primary care physician. He said that since the antibiotics helped the first time maybe another weeks worth would make the symptoms go away permanently. The same thing happened. While I was on antibiotics and about a week after my symptoms disappeared, but only to reappear again.

I went back to my primary care physician. He said that he could not put me on any more antibiotics. He did a blood test to see if I have an infection, the blood test came back negative for infection. He sent me to an ear nose and throat doctor. The ear nose and throat doctor did a fiberoptic laryngoscope. He found the severely irritated spot in my throat. He said it was probably acid reflux.

He sent me to a gastroenterologist. The gastroenterologist performed an upper endoscopy. He did not see any signs of acid reflux, except for the severely irritated spot in my throat. I do not have any of the symptoms of acid reflux, even before I started taking Protonix. He put me on Protonix. I have been on Protonix for two months now. The symptoms have only gotten worse. All of the symptoms are hard to deal with, but I could learn to live with most of them if I had to.

The main symptom that concerns me is that not being able to breathe good, and my pulse racing as a result of that. I have a lot of questions, but my biggest question is what I can do about my nor being able to breathe well and my pulse racing? I have a picture I can send you of my throat when the fiberoptic laryngoscope was done. I can send you if you think it would help?

Dr. Prasun Mishra

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I went through your symptoms and pictures. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Your fiber optic picture indeed shows some amount of changes of laryngopharyngeal reflux. So even though you do not have acidity and reflux you still have some laryngeal reflux for which you will have to take a proton pump inhibitor tablet Pantoprazole 20 mg twice a day for one month.

The white area in your throat needs to be investigated by a throat swab for culture and sensitivity to know if it is actually a bacterial infection. Regarding nose block, have the ENT surgeon done a nasal endoscopy in your nose. If yes, what did he say? If not done I will suggest go for a CT (computed tomography) scan PNS (paranasal sinus), axial and coronal view to be done to rule out sinusitis, as if sinusitis is too much even then you have these symptoms.

|