Q. I have tightness and a feeling of clogging in the throat. Kindly help.

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

It started around a month ago with tightness in the throat. When I got to the doctor, I was able to talk for only one time, that too, through the phone. Doctor prescribed me a tablet Penicillin, and I took it every six hours for 10 days. I also got anti-inflammatory Diflam throat spray, but those did not help at all. When I got back, they took me in, checked me thoroughly, told me something about dead bugs and that infection has spread to my ear. So, he gave me a capsule Doxycycline and a tablet Fexofenadine hydrochloride, and I have taken it for seven days already. After a while, my ear felt better, but it started to hurt sometimes and got clogged again on days six and seven. It is not always the issue. Current symptoms include slight tightness in the throat, feeling of something stuck in the throat around Adam's apple area, feeling of something stuck at the end of the tongue, slight ear pain sometimes left or sometimes right side (does not happen all the time), clogging (sometimes), white tongue, back of my mouth is weird looking, weird-looking tonsils, no pain when swallowing or breathing, no difficulty in swallowing or breathing, lymph nodes under the chin is swollen on both sides, and there is no fever. Can you please help me with this?

#

Welcome to icliniq.com

The most common reason for having this irritation in the throat with a feeling of a lump or something obstructing while swallowing saliva can be a feature of chronic silent GERD with LPR (gastroesophageal reflux with laryngopharyngeal reflux).

Even though you might be asymptomatic or never had gastric issues in between, the inflammation in the throat often exists in the hidden form and can resurface when adequate care is not taken.

Why does hidden acid reflux become so problematic?

As you know, the stomach usually has got cells that release hydrochloric acid and thus keep the gastric environment acidic. Your entire mucosal lining from the mouth, throat, and food pipe (esophagus) is not meant to handle anything acidic. However, the throat is the most sensitive of the three structures due to its rich nerve supply. Therefore, if your mouth, throat, or food pipe chronically comes in contact with acidic contents in a given situation, an inflammation starts which the body initially takes care of, but once this compensation wears out, you start developing symptoms that you have mentioned.

Please try to follow the advice mentioned below:

1) Maintain a strict diet, eating on time.

2) Avoid spicy, oily, and cold food or drinks.

3) Keep a gap of two hours between meals and going to bed.

4) Do not over eat, instead keep your stomach half empty and have regular intermittent light food like fresh-cut fruits in between main meals.

5) Salt water gargling 8 to 10 times a day for 15 days

6) Avoid alcohol and smoking as it can potentiate reflux.

7) Try to maintain a left lateral position while sleeping to reduce the chance of reflux.

I suggest the following treatment plan:

• Capsule Pan-D 40 mg (Pantoprazole 40 mg and Domperidone 30 mg) (or equivalent) once in the morning before breakfast for one month.
  • Syrup Mucaine gel (Oxetacaine, Aluminium hydroxide and Milk of magnesia) (or equivalent) one teaspoon three times a day 20 minutes before meals for one month.

Ensure you follow the precautionary measures as much as possible, as mere medications would not fetch long-term relief.

Please understand that this typically takes four to six weeks for things to normalize and for symptoms to subside and chiefly depends on how much you have been able to follow the precautions mentioned above as 80 percent of the treatment lies there.

You need to worry about absolutely nothing as this is a treatable entity, and things will be fine.

I hope I have answered your query in detail! If there is anything more you need to know or enquire, please do let me know, and I will get back as soon as possible.

Warm Regards.

|