Q. Why do I have a sensation of a lump in the throat with some swallowing problems?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda
This is a premium question & answer published on May 30, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 07, 2021

I have a sensation of a lump in my throat with occasional nausea and difficulty in swallowing. I am having this issue for three months.

#

Please send a picture of your throat. Please mention whether you have reflux in the form of a burning sensation in the chest or stomach. Please mention whether you have a bitter taste in your throat while waking up in the morning. I need to see your reports of the investigations and kindly send it.

I do not have heartburn. I have a sweet taste in my back of the throat while waking up. I have attached an image.

#

Your picture is not clear and kindly send a new one.

I have attached an image.

#

I have gone through the attached photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your larynx looks normal. There is nothing cancerous. Your right vocal cord looks thicker than the left. But it is not dangerous.

Does this look like LPR?

#

LPR (laryngopharyngeal reflux) is a clinical disease. You do not have a sense of reflux, choking attacks, and bitter taste in your mouth. I suggest you take a proton pump inhibitor once daily before breakfast to decrease gastric acidity. It occurs due to increased stress and anxiety. Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol. Avoid taking spicy foods.

|