Q. Is applying MMC in LASEK surgery safe enough?

Dr. Dada Peer K

Is applying MMC in LASEK surgery safe enough? Concerning risk with corneal opacity from LASEK vs corneal 370 µm left after LASIK, which is greater?

Do you have a question on Lasek Surgery or Eye Surgery?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Dada Peer K

MBBS, ., MS OPHTHALMOLOGY., DNB OPHTHALMOLOGY., FELLOWSHIP IN CATARACT AND PHACOEMULSIFICATION., TRAINING IN
Ophthalmology (Eye Care)

Applying MMC (Mitomycin-C) in LASEK is safer and in many studies, it has not caused any problems. So, you need not worry.

Coming to your second question, LASIK with 370 µm left, is very safe as we take the safety level as 250 µm. Hence I feel LASIK risk is lower.

For further queries consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Also Read Answers From: Lasek Surgery Eye Surgery Lasik

I cannot see things that are far away from me. Please help.
Query: Hello doctor, I am 35 years old male. I cannot see things that are far away from me. As far back as I can remember, l became aware I had an eye problem at a very young age. I was forced to sit in front of the class to see better. After that, I have been taken to the clinic and hospital but it yield...  Read Full »
Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to iCliniq.com. There are a number of different conditions that can cause a drop in vision. Some of these can be corrected by glasses, these are called refractive errors. While others cannot be improved with glasses and will need eye surgery or special medication. A simple test to ...  Read Full »

My pupils are big after cataract surgery. Why?
Query: Hi doctor, I had cataract surgery. I can see objects only with the rigid lens and it is blurry. I cannot read anything. My eyes still get hurt by bright light and my pupils are big. Why?  Read Full »
Dr. Asif Manzoor
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After the cataract surgery, pupil may remain dilated due to surgical trauma to constrictor pupillae muscle or iris is damaged and becomes atrophic. Some drops also cause pupil dilation. Make sure you are not using any dilating drops with red caps such as Tropicamide, C...  Read Full »

Why do my eyes feel tired and dry?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25-year-old female. I was submitted to myopia correction surgery (LASEK) some eight months ago. The surgery was successful and the ophthalmologist said my vision was at 100%. Before that, I had used glasses since I was 12 for myopia and astigmatism. My myopia kept evolving and ...  Read Full »
Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are three reasons for your dry eyes. Your continuous work at computers known as computer vision syndrome. LASIK (laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis), commonly referred to as laser eye surgery can cause dry eyes. Tablet Sertraline can cause dry eye ...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now