Q. After looking into Class 3B laser for a second, I experience floaters and blind spots. Why?

Dr. Asha Barboza

I had a laser eye injury last year from a Class 3B laser. I stared looking into it for I do not know how long, less than one second though. It was during the performance. I have had some floaters ever since, and three missing spots on an Amsler grid in the left eye. There is one noticeable floater in each eye, central vision. Yesterday, my left eye got blurry. I do not see any flashes. Am I normal?

Dr. Asha Barboza

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Class 3B lasers are known to be hazardous to the eye. I presume all these tests were done one year ago, including the attachment you sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

I suggest you create your own Amslers grid using a piece of paper or better download from the internet. Hold it about 25 cm from each eye and plot out your missing areas, what we call a scotoma. Compare it with the report you have with you. Remember to cover each eye one at a time and focus on the center dot. It should be a white background grid.

Floaters are very common in shortsighted people as the vitreous starts to lose its gel-like consistency. Retinal holes, breaks, lattice degeneration are common too, and so you need a dilated retinal check every year. The blurry vision could be due to a change in your power too. Shadows in your vision, especially dark curtain-like shadow in one corner of your vision could indicate a retinal detachment. But they will not come and go. I do not mean to alarm you. It is better to get your retina checked to rule out any myopic degeneration that might occur.

|