Q. I am in dire need to reduce my eye power to be declared fit for my recruitment. Please explain the treatment options and potential risks involved.

Dr. Dada Peer K
Published on Feb 23, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

• I had retinal vasculitis 8 years ago (no recent activity confirmed by doctors).
  • I am 23 years old and my eye power has been constant in the last 4 years (-8D).
  • I am in dire need to reduce my eye power to be declared fit for my recruitment.

Please explain the treatment options and potential risks involved.

Dr. Dada Peer K

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Welcome to icliniq.com. I reviewed your history.

• It seems from the history that you are having refractive error of  -8 dioptres.
  • Since it is constant without any further variation and your age is more than 18 years, you can undergo laser correction of your refractive power. This is called as Lasik and you can undergo this procedure.
  • LASIK is a very safe procedure and it is of proven efficacy.
  • The risks and complications can be avoided by proper evaluation and assessment of thickness of cornea.
  • With proper evaluation and assessment the complications are almost nil.
  • Hence, I advise you to consult your ophthalmologist for evaluation for fitness for lasik surgery and if found fit, you can undergo the procedure.

Hope this information is helpful to you.

Revert back to an eye care ophthalmologist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

Thanks for your prompt reply doctor.

• I contacted my opthalmologist regarding the same.
  • He says, for a patient with a history of retinal vasculitis there are potential risks involved in LASIK and told me not to go for it unless really necessary.
  • Also I am fit for LASIK otherwise (retinal thickness and other things).
  • I understand those risks and want to weigh other alternatives if available. Please advise.

Dr. Dada Peer K

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• Since, the retinal vasculitis is not active this will not cause any problem.
  • The only permanent cure is the laser refractive surgery and there are no other alternatives.
  • Hence, if you require it, you can absolutely go for the LASIK.

Revert back to an eye care ophthalmologist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

Is it normal to have burning eyes after Lasik?

Query: Hi doctor, I had LASIK done for my eyes two months back. My vision is all right but, I feel a burning sensation at the corners of the eyes (corners from where tear comes). After 20 days of LASIK, (back then) whenever I put any eye drops my eyes started burning. Due to the burning sensation, my eyes ...  Read Full »

My father has a constant pain in head after eye surgery. Please give your expert advice.

Query: Hi doctor, My father, who is 53 years old, is suffering from diabetic retinopathy and has undergone vitreoretinal surgery. After the surgery, his eye (right) responded well. But now, there is a constant pain in his head. The doctors said that there is some pressure in the eye, which increases and re...  Read Full »

What do these vision screening numbers mean?

Query: Hello doctor, What does this vision screening mean? OD +0.75 +1.75 -200 @ 156 degrees. OS +2.75 +3.50 -100 @ 4 degrees.  Read Full »