Q. Is laser treatment safe for removing hair from the body?

Dr. Sandhya Narayanan Kutty

I am a 24-year-old female and have excessive hair on my body. They are still growing. Please suggest to me how to get rid of it. Is Laser treatment safe or not?

#

Excessive hair from the body can only be removed by laser technique. In case of conditions like hirsutism, where body hair grows in unwanted areas, especially for females, they may use creams like Eflornithine twice daily. Even though that is true, creams are sometimes less effective than laser treatment.

Laser treatment is absolutely safe, and it is meant for treating skin conditions. Lasers have the ability to penetrate via skin to the area which is affected to remove excess hair. No other treatment would be as effective as Laser. The treatment is done in sessions depending on the hair cycles, which means in case you undergo a laser treatment today, the existing hair follicles along with the hair would be removed, but in the next 3 to 4 weeks, you might notice hair growth from other follicles which were not removed due to them being in the dormant stage of the hair cycle. Once done in 3 to 4 sessions every four weeks, then all the hair follicles weaken and will help get rid of the hair on your body for years. Kindly consult a Cosmetic Dermatologist in person for the same.

I hope. It could be of help. Stay happy, healthy, and safe.

|