Q. Is it possible to correct lazy eyes with spectacles in a 4-year-old?

Dr. Shikha

My son is almost 4-years-old. I got his routine eyesight check-up with dilation today. From the right eye, he could not read the last three lines even with the lenses they put to check vision, and his number is cylindrical minus 2.5. From the left eye, he could see 6/7.5, and his number is minus 0.75. The doctor told me to get him on Saturday again, and he will give him spectacles. Also, does he have lazy eyes? If he had lazy eyes, can this be treated with spectacles? Can he see 6/6? Is lazy eye a severe problem? My only question is, why is he not able to see even with lenses?

#

I can understand your concern about your son. The good news is it is detected early. It can be a lazy eye, but the normal adult vision of 6/6 comes at six years, which may also be a reason for low vision. But yes, whatever cylindrical power comes, he must use spectacles because that is the best option.

I hope you understand the gravity of the situation. If he does not use glasses, there are no chances of improving his vision. He also must avoid any itching, rubbing, and any ocular allergy must be treated simultaneously.

Also, he should start amblyopia occlusion therapy in a way that is advised or will be advised to you. Get a routine checkup of eye, initially every month.

But my question is, can lazy eye be treated? Do all children at four years not have 6/6 vision? Can he get 6/6 vision with spectacles?

#

Yes, a lazy eye or amblyopia is treatable if diagnosed early, and then appropriate, timely intervention takes time. Cylindrical error at this age is not typical for any child, and most of the children at this age do not have 6/6 vision. Yes, he can get 6/6 vision in the future with appropriate glasses and amblyopia therapy if there is no other structural defect in the eye.

|