Q. I have pain on left side of chest and tip of middle finger. Does it imply heart problem?

Dr. Isaac Gana

When I touch the tip of my middle finger I feel pain there as well as on the left side of my chest. It just started yesterday. Is this a sign of a heart problem?

Dr. Isaac Gana

Cardiology
#

I am sorry to hear about your pain, please do not be worried. You will be fine.

It is not a definite sign of heart disease. There are arthritis, angina, etc. Do you have a history of heart diseases in your family? Do you experience shortness of breath? Have you experienced dizziness or has the pain radiating to other parts of your body? What medications are you currently taking?

| 

My half brother died of a heart attack five months ago. He was 41 years old. No other heart issues in my family. No, I have not experienced any of those other symptoms. But do you mean that it is not a definite sign of heart disease? That is a very vague statement and I would like a more detailed explanation.

Dr. Isaac Gana

Cardiology
#

In the diagnosis of heart diseases, we do not base diagnosis on a few symptoms. Symptoms like chest pain and fingertip can occur in heart diseases, they can also be caused by other varieties of diseases like reflux disease, pneumonia, etc. Shortness of breath, chest pain that radiates to other parts of the body like shoulders or back, dizziness are more specific to heart diseases.

These whole symptoms are still not enough to diagnose heart disease without lab investigations like ECG (electrocardiography), echo, lipid profile test, etc.

When you have symptoms and we suspect you might have heart disease or if you are at risk of heart disease that is when we ask patients to go for investigations to give a better picture.

Since you have a family history of heart disease. I advise you do ECG (electrocardiography), echo, lipid profile tests as a routine so as to see the condition of your heart.

| 

Is coronary angiography required in chronic stable angina?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom is 56 years old. She is a patient of hypertension, diabetes, and mild nephropathy. BP 140/80, pulse 96/ min, creatinine 1.3, fasting sugar 125, postprandial 157. From a few months, my mother is suffering from chest pain. The doctor told it is chronic stable angina. All other te...  Read Full »

I have a left-sided chest pain and shortness of breath. Is this something serious?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a potential blood clot but, a chest CT came back clear. I still have chest pain and upper back pain as well as shortness of breath. What could this be? They said it was potentially a muscular or skeletal pain but, I get pain on the left side especially. They suggested pain killer...  Read Full »

Am I having a heart problem or PTSD?

Query: Hello doctor,I have already talked to my very own Cardiologist but have not really gotten much. They just told me I have been having a lot of tachycardia lately but with a normal rhythm. They told me I should be fine but I feel I am not. Three months back, I had gone into cardiac arrest due to a dru...  Read Full »