Q. I want to know whether a chest X-ray can show left ventricular hypertrophy.

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I want to know whether a chest X-ray can show left ventricular hypertrophy (LVH).

#

Chest X-ray cannot show left ventricular hypertrophy (LVH). If your left ventricle remains enlarged, it shows as an enlarged heart shadow on the chest X-ray. ECG (electrocardiogram) can show findings of LVH but echocardiography is the best way to diagnose LVH.

I have done an ECG three years back and it showed up LVH. So I did an echocardiogram and it came back normal. I did an ECG last week and my doctor told me that it shows LVH. It remains more serious than the ECG taken before three years. I am worried. Can I have changes in the echocardiogram taken after three years?

#

Echocardiography is the best way to diagnose LVH. If it does not show LVH, it means that there is no LVH. ECG can show signs of LVH. But similar findings can also occur due to other causes. It occurs as a normal finding in people less than 40 years of age, in people who are thin and lean, and if the ECG machine setting is not standardized. Kindly send your ECG reports and so I can guide you better. Please mention whether you are lean and thin, whether you have hypertension, and any family history of heart issues.

|