Q. My wife's legs and feet are painful and swollen, and she has difficulty walking. Why is it so?

Dr. Sugreev Singh

My 84-year-old wife is mildly diabetic and is under medications with Metformin 850 mg twice daily, Losartan 50 mg once daily, Thyroxin 88 mcg once daily, Statin 10 mg once daily, and multivitamins. Her recent blood test showed low hemoglobin and iron, and she started to take Folvite 5 mg twice daily and Vitamin D3 once a week for the last two weeks. She also uses a Seroflo inhaler twice daily as she has asthma which is under control now. Now, her legs and feet are swollen and painful, and she finds it difficult to walk even within the house. Recent blood, stool reports, and a photo of her legs and feet are attached for your perusal. Your advice is requested.

#

Thank you for writing, and I understand your concern. I got the picture (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) of legs, and there is swelling and discoloration. Most probably, this is due to uncontrolled glucose. Other reasons for such discoloration and swelling are varicose veins or deep vein thrombosis, so we must rule that out accordingly. I would like to see her blood reports so that I can comment further. Can you please tell me for how long she has this swelling? Is there any pain or itching in the legs? Please let me know. Thank you.

Thanks for the reply, doctor,

Yes, there is pain always and itching sometimes. I have already attached the blood and stool report with my query. Please check. If it is missing, I will send it again.

#

Thank you for attaching the reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), and I have gone through them. Glucose and everything are well-controlled, but the hemoglobin level is slightly low, and there are some changes in MCV (mean corpuscular volume), MCHC (mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration), and PCV (packed cell volume), which indicates anemia. And another primary concern is that there is a significant increase in antimicrosomal antibodies. This means thyroid disorder and autoimmune diseases such as granulomatous thyroiditis or Hashimoto's thyroiditis. So treatment is required. There is a slight decrease in vitamin D3 as well. So I suggest you take Dexorange syrup (Folic acid, Vitamin B12, and Iron) 5 ml once a day, tablet Vitamin D3, and Calcium 500 mg once a day after meal for ten days. Continue rest of the medicines as it is. Does she have an enlarged thyroid? Is there any family history of thyroid? Let me know. Thank you.

|