Q. My 2 weeks old son has coloboma and hardly opens his eyes. Please advise.

Dr. Arnab Pal

My son is nearly 2 weeks old. We took him to the hospital last week and he has been diagnosed with coloboma in both eyes he has not been seen by an ophthalmologist as of yet we are still awaiting the appointment me and my partner are so worried. He hardly opens his eyes. Please advise.

#

It pains me to see your child having a supposedly congenital defect of eyes. However, the picture needs to be more front on to have a clear idea regarding the site of coloboma.

Coloboma is essentially defects in different parts of the eyes. There may be a defect in only one structure or maybe found with defects in more than one structure in the same eye. They can be unilateral or bilateral. So defects can be in eyelids, lens, iris, or in retina.

The first three defects do not cause much visual problems to be honest but coloboma of the retina can lead to decreased vision especially if it affects the central part or macula. But still, the child does have reasonable functional vision. So to conclude, certainly all is not lost in fact far from it. I hope the child has coloboma only of the anterior segment. But do remember it is not that bad. If you can do send me pictures.

| 

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»