Q. I am on Levetiracetam for epilepsy and experiencing mood changes. Is it the side effect of that drug?

Dr. Upendra K Shah

I was diagnosed with epilepsy in late 2016, and have been taking Levetiracetam since then (500 mg twice a day). I have been concerned that it is affecting my mental health. I have been experiencing anxiety, depression, irritability, and anger which is very out of character for me. It has taken some time to pinpoint, but it seems like these behavioral changes may correlate with when I began taking the medication.

Prior to starting Levetiracetam, I had two grand mal seizures about 12-15 months apart. I frequently had what were diagnoses as epilepsy-related auras. Since I have been taking Levetiracetam, I have not had any more seizures or auras. I am happy the medication is working, but I am interested in advice about other possible medications or non-prescription treatments.

#

Your assumption is right, Levetiracetam causes behavioral disturbance as a side effect.

There are two options now,

1. To taper off the Levetiracetam - if you have not experienced any seizure or aura in the last four years then we can go straight away with gradual tapering of the medicine, for that we need to know the last seizure/ aura episode, but with this, there is a risk of recurrence, you need to be cautious and under the watch of someone for few months.

2. Substitute Levetiracetam with Sodium valproate - in this risk of seizure is less, but still, it is there, on the fact the Sodium valproate is a mood stabilizer.

Please do not do any of the above by self, you can consult a neurologist locally let him manage or get a telephonic consultation.

| 

My last seizure was in September of 2016, so almost 4 years ago. I would be interested in setting up a phone/video consultation to discuss the proposed options in more detail. When are you available?

#

I am available all days after 5 PM to 2 AM Indian Time Zone (GMT +5.30).

| 

How to overcome my mood swings and change my behavior?

Query: Hi doctor, I often feel very low, anxious, and stressed. I try diverting myself, but I still get into a trance, where I feel sad. I am afraid of losing people, and keep thinking about what they think and how they feel. Even though they are not worthy of my sorry at times, I still apologize out of ...  Read Full »

My 15 year old sister has seizures, and her brain activity is abnormal. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My sister has been having seizures. So, we consulted a doctor, who said she has abnormal brain activity. Her EEG showed abnormal spikes. Currently, she is taking Levipil 1000,  twice a day. What is going on with my sister? No one is explaining anything, and the medication is affecti...  Read Full »

How can Sandhoff disease be cured?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is suffering from Sandhoff disease. Please give a solution.  Read Full »