Q. Is it advisable to take Xyzal for seasonal allergies?

I started taking Xyzal, recommended to me by a friend for my bad seasonal allergies. I took my first dose (1 whole pill) today and my skin got this red tint and felt hot and I had some hot flashes. Is this something that I should adjust to and can continue taking?

I have tried Allegra, Zyrtec and Claritin and Benedryl. None have done much for me. The allergies I am having due to the pollen are causing sinus pressure and mucus that is traveling to my lungs. The Xyzal, along with Mucinex and Sudafed, seems to help with these symptoms. Is the Xyzal safe for me?

#

Xyzal is nothing but Levocetrizine. It is the levo isomer of Cetirizine (Zyrtec). The advantage of Xyzal over Zyrtec is that Xyzal is effective over half the dosage of Zyrtec and that the former produces less sleep. The relief you find is more due to Mucinex and Sudafed. Mucinex acts to bring the tenacious mucous out by liquefying it and Sudafed acts to decongest and reduce the vascularity of the area.

The main problem allergy which leads to sinus congestion and all these symptoms has to be addressed. First we should do an allergy testing to find out what exactly is causing the allergy, whether it is dust mite, pollen or fungus. Subsequently you can take some avoidance precautions. If that does not work then medicines like what you are taking and eventually if nothing works, immunotherapy can be tried.

|