Q. Could cocaine use two days before blood draw cause the LFTs to be elevated?

Dr. Vivek Chail
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 07, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 18, 2020

Could cocaine use two days before blood draw cause the LFTs (ALT=90 and AST=86) to be elevated? If so, how long of an abstinence period (not using cocaine) would be needed to get LFTs back down to normal levels?

#

Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail.

Please find my observations below.

• Taking cocaine two days earlier can increase the LFTs
  • LFTs can also be raised due to many causes including liver infection, increased alcohol intake, intake of toxic chemicals including cocaine, presence of gall stones, increased intake of fatty foods among others.
  • Usually AST and ALT levels of up to 40 units is considered in normal range. 
  • Your levels are 90 and 86 and this is just twice that of normal. It is not a serious concern but attempts should be made to identify any other cause clinically and then treat the particular condition.
  • After cocaine intake, LFTs usually return to normal levels within 1 to 2 weeks
  • Please note that you also have to reduce other factors that might contribute to increased LFTs like alcohol intake and fatty foods.
  • It is also suggested to get an ultrasound scan of abdomen to look for any suspected liver injury.
  • You can stop taking cocaine for at least 2 weeks and then get the LFTs repeated for accurate results.

Revert back to a general medicine physician online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

| 

Other than ultrasound, how can Down's syndrome be diagnosed?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 weeks pregnant. Yesterday, I went for an ultrasound scan named targeted imaging for fetal anomalies. Other than hypoplasia of nasal bone, everything is normal. I need an expert opinion regarding advanced tests of ultrasound or amniocentesis, karyotyping or any ultrasound scan to ...  Read Full »

Do I need to worry about my LFT report?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old male. My weight is 75 kg and height is 5'11". Two years ago, I was a heavy drinker. But, nowadays I only drink beer once a week for about 6 to 7 pints. My SGOT AND SGPT levels were much higher two years ago. I think they were around 150 to 175. I just got my LFT done b...  Read Full »

According to the reports, do I need an immediate liver CT scan?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 46 year old male. I had gastric bypass surgery 7 years ago. Earlier, I was 540 lbs and now, my weight is 300 lbs. About 5 years ago, I started drinking hard alcohol (Vodka) weekly. As of three weeks ago, I started getting a tight, bloated, tingly sensation from my chest down to my ...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»