Q. Kindly tell me about the cut in the mouth of a patient with lichen planus.

Dr. Himayoon Majeed Mir
Published on Oct 15, 2018

I have been diagnosed with oral lichen planus a year back and now I can feel a small cut like thing in mouth again. Can you help me up to diagnose if this is a normal cut or some other thing. I am 30 years old male.

#

The cut you are referring to seems to be due to cheek bite (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I need to know if there is any pain in the cut or pain on taking any specific food or liquid. I need to know when where you diagnosed with lichen planus. And have you been taking any medicine for that? The whiteness around the cut seems the keratinization that usually occurs due to the cell growth around the cut and that is normal. I would advise you to maintain good oral hygiene and if you have pain, apply some analgesic ointment on the cut. I would also advise you to have a visit to your nearest dentist in order to rule out any other disorder.

Thanks for your quick reply. I have been diagnosed with lichen planus last year and have not taken any medication for it from then, but from two days I have consulted a doctor for this (oral lichen planus) and the medications he has provided are Althoricin, B-Rich, Predmet, Sompraz, Tantum mouthwash, TESS ointment. When I touch the cut in my mouth with the tongue it is slightly hard and I do not have any pain or burning sensation and almost on daily basis, I tend to eat very spicy food.

#

The medicine that the said dentist has provided is just fine for the treatment of oral lichen planus(OLP). You continue with the treatment for the said period (according to your prescription) for the OLP. Regarding the cut on the cheek, it has started to heal (hardness) and will take some days to be normal properly. However, if the cut persists beyond two weeks (unlikely), do consult the oral pathologist for getting it tested for any other pathology. Till then you continue with the medicine for OLP. Maintain good oral hygiene. Brush, floss and rinse regularly. Can you send me the pictures of the oral lichen planus (white lesions) present anywhere else than this cut (if any)?

Will HSV affect my daily lifestyle or marriage?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with HSV-1 four months back, HSV IgG was positive, and IgM was negative. I am a healthy person, and if I keep myself away from HIV, will I still have HSV outbreaks after 60 years of age? HIV is the only known immunocompromised state. Will a cold, flu, thyroid, diabete...  Read Full »

How to treat red circular lesions on lower extremities?

Query: Hi doctor, I have red circular lesions on lower extremities. Currently I am taking Amlodipine 10 mg qd, Benazepril 20 mg and Clonidine 0.2 mg. I have not yet taken any tests. Kindly suggest what can it be?  Read Full »

Do the white patches in my mouth suggest some kind of cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I have developed white patches in my mouth from a few days. The images are attached herewith. There is a pain some days and other days there is no pain at all. There is no bleeding either. Recently, I visited an ENT specialist. He referred me to a dentist. The dentist advised me to r...  Read Full »