Q. I get light period with spotting for the last five months. Kindly help.

Dr. Priyadarshini Tripathy
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 07, 2020

I am a 29-year-old female. I am facing very low or spotting during the periods from the last three to five months, and I also gain weight. Please help.

Dr. Priyadarshini Tripathy

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Spotting or scanty flow during menses in addition to weight gain, could be due to a number of causes like

1. Thyroid abnormalities.

2. PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome).

3. Stress.

4. Lifestyle changes.

5. Work-life stress,

6. Problems related to uterus or ovary.

7. Hormonal pills.

Excess weight gain especially around the belly area leading to imbalance in female hormones. It is important to know the exact cause behind it, so that I can advice you on the right treatment. If not treated, it can lead to other complications in the future. You need to do the following tests, so that we can know the reason behind it.

Meanwhile, I would advise you to avoid high carbohydrate diet, oily foods, and junk foods as well. Do a cardio exercise like running, jogging, treadmill for at least 30 minutes, five days a week. Also, I would like to know your cycle pattern? Is it regular or irregular?

1. Complete blood count.
2. Thyroid function test.
3. USG pelvis.
4. Serum prolactin.
5. Urine pregnancy test if sexually active.

Take plenty of fluids, vegetables, fruits, iron-rich diet, and exercise.

| 

My period cycle is normal, and between 25 to 27 days.

Dr. Priyadarshini Tripathy

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Good, it is normal, but we cannot exclude the hormonal disturbances. I need to do the tests so that I can offer better treatment.

|