Q. Is it common to have a racing heartbeat during pregnancy?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

I am 23 weeks pregnant. Sometimes, I feel lightheaded and have a racing heartbeat. My heartbeat during resting is 60 beats per minute. However, sometimes it goes up to 120 beats per minute, and I feel that I cannot breathe. I have an appointment scheduled for next week.

Kindly advise.

#

I understand your concern.

I have reviewed your reports (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). Your ECG (electrocardiogram) shows a normal heart rate. However, there is one premature beat. Premature beats are common during pregnancy and occur occasionally.

Regarding fast heart rate and dizziness, your ECG shows a normal heart rate. You may have to record 12 leads when symptoms occur.

Premature beats are of concern only when:

• You have known heart disease.
  • You have recurrent episodes of unconsciousness.
  • A family history of cardiac disease or sudden death at a young age.
  • You feel dizziness or have a loss of consciousness.

However, dizziness is common in pregnancy and is considered due to pregnancy until proven otherwise. Also, a fast heart rate is a normal finding in pregnancy. I suggest you check your hemoglobin levels, as anemia is common during pregnancy. Kindly share the test results so that I can guide you accordingly.

|