Q. How to treat a lip bump of size 1 mm with no other symptoms?

Dr. Prathish Kumar

I am 25-years-old male. I had noticed a bump of size 1 mm on my upper lip two months ago. But it did not increase or decrease in size or shape till now, and there are no other symptoms.

Kindly help.

#

I have seen the picture you have uploaded (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity).

As per your statement, this has been present for more than two months. So, you need not worry until it grows in size or causes any pain. Also, it is the same color as that of the surrounding regions, and it does not look like any specific issue. Your lips are dry, and it could also be a possible reason. I would recommend you to have adequate water and apply lip balms for dryness.

Lip balms for dryness.

Adequate hydration.

Revert if any symptoms such as pain, redness, or increase in size develop.

Thanks for the reply.

I will use lip balm for dryness. In your professional opinion, is there any underlying illness behind it?

Thanks.

#

I agree that it looks odd to have swelling there. But in my professional opinion, if it had been some disease, the character of the bump would have changed in the following days. But for the past two months, it had been in the same size and shape without any change. So, we need to consider it as a non-specific little bump. If we need to dig into its cause deeply, we have to take a biopsy and do microscopic research, which will cause a lip scar and is unnecessary in the current scenario.

Do not worry. Let us hope it disappears in the upcoming few days.

Revert if there is an increase in size, color, pain, or numbers.

Take care.

|