Listeria Infection

How are listeria and toxoplasmosis diagnosed?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old female and currently 37 weeks pregnant. This evening I ate a burger that was pink on the inside. I am worried about getting listeria or toxoplasmosis from it. I will be scheduled for a C-section around 11 to 13 days from now and I am wondering what are the odds of p...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini Nanasaheb Talpe

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If there is an active infection, then you can transmit the infection to the baby. Please note if you get any fever or flu like symptoms, then you need to investigate and treat. It is a very less likely possibility of the infection as the incubation period ranges from 24 ...  Read Full »

How does listeria feel like?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 34 weeks pregnant. What are the symptoms of listeria? I read somewhere that a pregnant women may not have symptoms at all. How would I know if I have it? Also there is opened unpasteurized cheese in the fridge. Can that cheese contaminate an opened package of cheese, just by being be...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pregnant women typically experience fever and other non-specific symptoms of listeria such as fatigue and aches. Besides symptoms, a blood culture is the most ideal way of diagnosis of listeria. However, infections during pregnancy can lead to miscarriage, stillbirth, ...  Read Full »

Please tell me the symptoms of listeria.

Query: Hi doctor, I am 33 weeks pregnant now. I had slight fever and muscle aches recently. I am scared about listeria while pregnant. Could you please tell me the symptoms of listeria? Also if it is listeria, how long will it take to affect the baby? I need some advice about listeria please.  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Symptoms of mild listeriosis include fever, muscle ache, nausea and diarrhea. Rarely in severe cases, there is meningitis. You should have a history of taking infected raw milk, cheese, vegetables or meat. Pregnancy with listeriosis needs treatment as fetus can be infect...  Read Full »

Can listeria infection result in fatal complications in a baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 18 weeks pregnant. Last night we went out for dinner and she ordered a shrimp cocktail. The shrimp seems a bit off and so she only ate 3 or 4 then we returned them. She also felt a little unwell the next morning, but she had no fever. Her temperature was 34.5 degree Celsius....  Read Full »

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query. Listeria infection (through listeria contaminated food) is as such rare but if it does occur it is usually fatal for the baby. I am not trying to scare you. If you really feel that the shrimp might be undercooked and your wife did hav...  Read Full »

Will Listeria monocytogenes colonise and proliferate in a dry plate?

Query: Hello doctor, Can Listeria monocytogenes colonise and proliferate on a plate that had plain pasta on it but pasta has been taken out, and plate left out for about a week at room temperature? I am 16 weeks pregnant, and when I was washing said plate, I spilled some of the dirty water from it onto a ...  Read Full »

Dr. Arun R Kaushik

Microbiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. I suggest that you get a culture for listeria from the cloth which was used. If the cloth was dry, then the chance of the listeria to survive is less. It is difficult to predict if the water was first infected with the bacteria. Then if it ...  Read Full »