Q. Is it harmful to take Lithium for bipolar disorder with fasting and paleo diet?

I am on fasting for the auspicious month (dry fast), but I also have to take Lithium for my bipolar disorder. I have seen that higher Lithium concentration can cause serious damage to the kidney due to dehydration and also to the metabolism. During fasting and with keto diet the body needs a lot of potassium, but the cells get lithium instead. What is your opinion about that? Is dry fasting, keto diet, and lithium intake at the same time harmful?

I take normal Lithium carbonate 650-1250 mg a day.

#

See, Lithium can be harmful if hydration is not well maintained. In such cases, we recommend to increase the amount of fluid. That is to consume a good quantity of fluid in the morning before your fast starts and to drink fluids once you open your fast in the evening, and continue till the next morning.

Take Lithium tablets along with two glasses of water each time. Do not go for the Keto diet. You should take a proper balanced diet. Avoid taking a high protein diet.

So usually in auspicious month, the fasting duration is for 12 hours. In the remaining 12 hours, keep on taking fluids to compensate. There is no indication to stop or reduce the dosage of Lithium during Ramadan.

| 

My anxiety symptoms are coming back after stopping Lithium and Zoloft. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I was on Lithium 300 mg thrice a day and 50 mg Zoloft once a day for a year and a half but they were of no help so I stopped taking them. My anxiety symptoms are coming back. I have racing thoughts and panic attacks. I cannot wait for 30 days to see a psychiatrist. Would I be able to ...  Read Full »

Is fasting blood sugar 131 considered diabetic?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife's fasting glucose is 131. Her post lunch glucose level is 121 and urine does not contain sugar. Her HbA1c is 6. 2. Her height is 5.4 and weight is 68 kg. What to do now?  Read Full »

Why is my postprandial blood sugar 209?

Query: Dear Doctor, My blood sugar report says that I have readings of Fasting Blood Sugar: 145 and Postprandial Blood Sugar: 209. I am on insulin. Please advise me as early as possible.  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a Nephrologist Now