Q. Will continuous drinking of alcohol worse the condition of cirrhosis?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

During Covid i drank excessively. And was a regular drinker before. I had a bleeding episode before 5 months. My alt was 130 and i had an untra sound that was suspicious for early stage chirrosis. Now i haven't drank in 5 months. All my numbers are normal. Alt 30's i did have an endoscope that showed varacies small 5mm. I have amother untra sound next year.

My question is, even if I have early chirrosis. I have learned my lesson and will never drink excessively again. I dont even crave it. Never did. Its the social interaction that i miss. I feel like a leper, an outcast. I have decided not to drink for another year and a half. To go 2 yrs without. But if I imbibed once a week after that. Would I die within a month or something. Because thats what my doctors. Ale it feel like. Yet I am 100% healthy now.

#

Hello

welcome you to icliniq.

Actually once cirrhosis is developed l, it is irreversible in nature. Meaning avoiding alcohol would prevent disease from progressing but never reset the cirrhosis back to normal liver tissue. Any further intake of alcohol however, would worsen the cirrhosis and thats why it is recommended to continue stopping alcohol.

However, in future, if you turned out to be non cirrhotic ( which is a least possibility because you already developed esophageal varices which is sign of established cirrhosis and porta vein hypertension) , then you can take small amount of alcohol in a week time. Alt and Ast often normalize itself once acute alcohol intake is stopped. Have you had any liver biopsy in past? or fibroscan of the liver?

|