Liver Damage

My liver readings are elevated. Does it indicate liver damage?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 29 years old with 180 cm tall and 62 kg weight. I was diagnosed with hereditary spherocytosis before five years, and my gallbladder was removed. Recently had an ultrasound to see the liver and spleen. I would have mildly elevated liver readings. Hematologist wanted to check that th...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your spleen is enlarged in size (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The liver appears normal in size, and the echotexture looks normal. I would like to know which liver readings get elevated? Liver enzymes can get elevated when the hemolysis is not enti...  Read Full »

What causes schistocytes?

Query: Hi doctor, My friend recently got a blood test done and they told her that she had a large number of schistocytes. However, she was not found to be anemic and has no other history of serious health issues. She is 30 and thin built. She has been anemic on blood tests occasionally in the past. I do...  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and can understand your concern. Schistocytes are nothing but fragmented or broken red blood cells, which are formed due to trauma to the cells. There are many causes of schistocytes in blood, One of the causes is microangiopathic hemol...  Read Full »

ALT and AST are out of range. What does it mean?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a blood work on my liver. The results came back saying that my ALT and AST are very high and out of range. So, I would like to know what that exactly means. When I received my laboratory test report they said that I should seek medical advice. My AST is 75 and ALT is 35. My MCV 116 ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Alcohol induced liver damage has caused increased enzyme levels. Possibly early stages, as no jaundice is seen. MCV high (mean corpuscular volume) is due to associated vitamin B12 and folic acid deficiency. Malnutrition du...  Read Full »

I am not an alcoholic, but my liver is fatty. Is it NAFLD?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 39 year old male. My height is 5'2"and weight is 62 kg. Today through USG I came to know that my liver is fatty (grade 1 diffuse fatty liver). I am very much worried and I do not drink alcohol. I have been taking Omega-3, protein powder and multivitamin supplements for the last one...  Read Full »

Dr. Bhavin Bhupendra Vasavada

General Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, it is non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. But, you need to be worked up. Get liver function tests, HBsAg (hepatitis B surface antigen) and HCV (hepatitis C virus) antibody test done. If all the above tests come normal, then nothing to worry, but do not ignore it. Do ...  Read Full »

Kindly guide us with the treatment for my mom's liver disease.

Query: Hi doctor, My mom is 70 years old. She has chronic liver disease, cirrhosis, portal hypertension and ascites. Her creatinine is 3. She also has type 2 diabetes. We were informed by her doctor that her liver is not producing albumin and her bilirubin level is very high. Please guide us.  Read Full »

Dr. Ankur Jindal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your mom's profile suggests very advanced stage of liver disease (attachment removed to protect patient identity). She has advanced cirrhosis of liver, which is complicated by the formation of portal hypertension and fluid abdomen. The presence of kidney injury adds to th...  Read Full »

I think I have a liver damage. Should I get tested for hepatitis A and B?

Query: Hello doctor, I just got my blood results, which I have uploaded. There are two files. One is about three months old and the other one is from today. I am afraid that I have a liver damage. Should I get tested for hepatitis A, B and C? I had donated blood four months ago and that time there was no p...  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through all the data posted (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are two abnormalities in your reports. The first one is that the percentage of lymphocytes are high and that of the neutrophils are low. This is commonly seen in viral fever. Y...  Read Full »

Why is my B12 level constantly high although I do not take supplements?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 44-year-old female. From the last one year, my B12 level is constantly high between 1400 to 1500 pg/ml. I do not take any B12 supplement at all. My health seems to be perfectly fine and I feel fit and active. Sometimes, at the left side of my chest, I feel uneasiness. My stool ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, you should get investigated with full CBC (complete blood count) with peripheral smear examination report to exclude any myeloproliferative neoplasm if present. If liver or kidney disease is present, then B12 excretion is affected. So, liver or kidney ...  Read Full »

Dad is in ICU with chronic liver disease. Is there a way to revive his liver?

Query: Respected doctor,My father is suffering from a chronic liver disease. I have attached his case summary with this query. He is in the ICU for the last four days. As per the doctor, my father may remain in this state for an indefinite period of time because his liver is not functioning. So, I want to ...  Read Full »

Dr. Noushif M

General Surgeon, Medical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per the records, he is suffering from stage-3 liver disease, that is an end-stage liver disease. His current problems need to be medically supported. This will result in temporary improvement of his condition. However, issues like infection, blood loss, fluid accumu...  Read Full »

My father is talking irrelevantly after being admitted to the ICU. What can be done?

Query: Hello doctor, My father had a chronic liver problem. Last week, he began to puke blood. At once, he was admitted to an ICU of a private hospital. The endoscopy was done and the doctor prescribed him medicines for binding the areas in the food pipe where the bleeding occurred. That was done. The blo...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is decompensated liver disease. This condition has a very bad prognosis if it is not treated well. He needs liver transplantation. But, the things should be stabilized with an adequate dose of antibiotics and diuretics. He is talking incoherently because toxins ha...  Read Full »

Can Xarelto increase AST and ALT?

Query: Hi doctor, I am taking Xarelto 20 mg daily for DVT from the past four weeks. My blood work shows increased AST, which is double than normal, and ALT, which is triple than normal. Should I take today's dose? I take a lot of medicines for different health conditions. I have attached the photo of my pr...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the attached prescription (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You are taking Alendronate, Alprazolam, Rivaroxaban, and Simvastatin for your different conditions. For example, Alendronate for osteoporosis, Simvastatin for hyperlipidemia, and R...  Read Full »