Liver Damage

Based on the reports, please suggest the cause of the sudden changes in the liver.

Query: 53/m Patient presented with painless jaundice last year. Mrcp showed mass head of pancreas .An endoscopic uSG revealed stricture in CBD and hence a stent was inserted. Bilirubin came down and Whipple's was planned.since TSH was more than 20 Whipple's was deferred until thyroid correction. Meanwhile ...  Read Full »

Dr. Arbab Muhammad Kashif Khan

Answer: Dear, Welcome to icliniq There are two possibilities: 1. long term biliary obstruction due to CBD compression can lead to cirrhosis known as biliary cirrhosis 2. Any abdominal infection could have lead to portal vein thrombosis which could have lead to such nodular texture of liver and portal cav...  Read Full »

I vomit blood when I eat chicken, egg, and banana. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a female and my age is 19 years. The following are the symptoms I have faced regularly. Vomiting blood, chest pain (middle to back from the right side when I exercise), nausea, dizziness, changes in breathing and rapid heartbeat. If I walk under the sun for 10 to 15 minutes, the ches...  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through all the information posted by you. I am sorry that you are going through all these at this age. Coming to the question, I will try to help you in a possible manner by giving some differential diagnosis,  which might be the cause of your symptoms. ...  Read Full »

What can cause red hives to appear on the body after drinking alcohol?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a male aged 24 years with an overall healthy history. However, I have noticed in the recent past, a bunch of red hives on (swollen red coloured ,not-painful) different parts of the body (knees, legs, cheek, arms) appearing after drinking beer or wine. This happened now twice in ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello. I welcome you to icliniq. I am sorry but the picture you uploaded seems little bit taken far away, not giving me full description of what it is. Yes you should get your liver function tests this will help us to detect any subtle damage to the liver. In chronic drinkers small blood vessel en...  Read Full »

Can abusing Co-Codamol result in liver damage and upper abdominal pain?

Query: I have had a history for 2 years of abusing co-codamol. Often taking 4x 30/500mg several times a day. I have some mild right upper quadrant pain that’s persevered for a few weeks after stopping all cocodomol use. Over the last year I’ve had abdominal al ultrasounds, many liver function t...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello. I welcome you to icliniq. First of all I give you a vote of appreciation that you were able to stop using co codamol. For chronic users of these opioid medicines, it is merely impossible to stop. Well once you stopped taking these medicines, it is unlikely that the effect will remain with...  Read Full »

Can liver failure cause blood in urine and weakness?

Query: He's my dad, becoming weak day by day. We consulted doctor who told the urine is containing blood also although its not visible looking at urine. His leg was also swelling, on medication it became fine. He also added, it may be liver failure but he didn't confirm. How he's becoming weak?Age :73Weig...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello. I welcome you to icliniq. I can understand you must be very upset about your father. The history you provided provides a little clue to what excatly he is sufferring with. Non visible blood in urine is called microscopic hematuria. Some liver condition can cause this problem such as Hepatit...  Read Full »

What causes elevated D-dimer?

Query: Hello doctor, My D-dimer is getting higher from 1.5 to 5.9 within the last four months. My heart has been checked, and I had a chest x-ray, CT of heart, aorta, abdomen, and pelvic floor and Doppler of my legs. All are clear. Blood work is normal apart from D-Dimer and c-reactive protein which is 1...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Following is my opinion about your asked question. D-dimer is usually elevated in some thrombotic events in the body like DIC (disseminated intravascular coagulation), deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolism. But your CT chest and Doppler leg are normal as per hi...  Read Full »

How do alcohol interfere with shake taken for weight reduction?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22-year-old male. My weight is 116 kg and my height is 5 feet 7 inches. My problem is, I am using nutrition food and milkshake to lose weight. 15 days ago, my weight is 123 kg but now it is 116 kg. I am doing a gym too. This is a product from herbal life. I want to go to my sis...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is important to know what is the contents of your supplements. However, common supplements contain creatinine for muscle building, with which alcohol is safe in moderation. However, if the content is not known then it is better to withhold supplements two to thre...  Read Full »

My liver readings are elevated. Does it indicate liver damage?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 29 years old with 180 cm tall and 62 kg weight. I was diagnosed with hereditary spherocytosis before five years, and my gallbladder was removed. Recently had an ultrasound to see the liver and spleen. I would have mildly elevated liver readings. Hematologist wanted to check that th...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your spleen is enlarged in size (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The liver appears normal in size, and the echotexture looks normal. I would like to know which liver readings get elevated? Liver enzymes can get elevated when the hemolysis is not enti...  Read Full »

What causes schistocytes?

Query: Hi doctor, My friend recently got a blood test done and they told her that she had a large number of schistocytes. However, she was not found to be anemic and has no other history of serious health issues. She is 30 and thin built. She has been anemic on blood tests occasionally in the past. I do...  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and can understand your concern. Schistocytes are nothing but fragmented or broken red blood cells, which are formed due to trauma to the cells. There are many causes of schistocytes in blood, One of the causes is microangiopathic hemol...  Read Full »

ALT and AST are out of range. What does it mean?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a blood work on my liver. The results came back saying that my ALT and AST are very high and out of range. So, I would like to know what that exactly means. When I received my laboratory test report they said that I should seek medical advice. My AST is 75 and ALT is 35. My MCV 116 ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Alcohol induced liver damage has caused increased enzyme levels. Possibly early stages, as no jaundice is seen. MCV high (mean corpuscular volume) is due to associated vitamin B12 and folic acid deficiency. Malnutrition du...  Read Full »