Q. I have increased amount of ALT and AST. What possible damage it could cause?

I have had two blood tests conducted within the last two weeks. The results from both tests showed high amounts of ALT and AST (liver function). I am interested in knowing if there is anything I should do to lower these levels to normal.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

See your liver enzymes, amylase, lipase, and creatinine is raised. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

To treat this we need to know the cause. I would like to know if you have been consuming alcohol? I would also like to know if you have diabetes, high blood pressure or any other chronic illness. Have you got your ultrasound done? Please mention the symptoms for which the test was conducted.

| 

I have not consumed alcohol in the last two months. I have never been told that I have diabetes, or high blood pressure, or any chronic illness. I have never had an ultrasound done.

The test was originally conducted to determine if there was any underlying cause of numbness to my little finger (left hand). The doctor at the clinic believed that the numbness may be an ulnar nerve pinch. My second blood test was conducted to verify the results of the first test.

#

See the available reports do not relate to your symptom of nerve pinch. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

But these results warrant further investigations to rule out the cause of deranged liver enzymes and raised creatinine level.

You need to do the following investigations:

1. Hepatitis panel.

2. Ultrasound abdomen.

3. Get your blood pressure checked.

If everything comes out to be normal, this could be fatty liver disease. Treatment would be no alcohol and weight reduction.

Medicine that can be used for this purpose is Ursodeoxycholic acid.

| 

Can asthma be permanently cured?

Query: Hi doctor, My son aged 4 years and 4 months is premature by birth at 34 weeks. His current weight is 15.5 kg. He always used to get a cough and sometimes fever in an interval of every two to three months, especially since last one year. However, there is no other visible physical or mental problem ...  Read Full »

Are high sugar and raised liver enzymes side effects of Protonix?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been taking Protonix for almost three weeks for acid reflux. I had some blood laboratory work done and it showed my AST 812 and ALT 1,115. Could this be a rare side effect of Protonix? My glucose also went up to 192 and lipase is 72. I do not drink, smoke or use drugs...  Read Full »

My asthmatic mother's X-ray is negative for TB. What else this could be?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has asthma as she used to smoke and live near roads. Her X-ray showed that trachea is in the midline, the cardiac shadow is not enlarged, pulmonary vasculatures are not prominent, hemidiaphragm is flattened, costophrenic sulci are blunted, right lower lung infiltrates presen...  Read Full »