Q. Can gastric issues like loose motion and vomiting cause dizziness?

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat

There were four times when my dad had a gastric issue where he started loose motion and vomiting, and started losing consciousness. He feels weak after every incident. He is taking Aspirin and Rosumac Gold 10 mg.

#

I have read your query.

You mention loose motion and vomiting followed by starting losing his consciousness as present symptoms. Am I right? What is the duration of the symptoms? What is the frequency of loose motion and vomiting? Have you measured blood pressure (BP)? Any associated fever? Any blood in the stool? Any recent antibiotic use? Any recent intake of outside food before these symptoms started?

Loose motion and vomiting both cause fluid and electrolytes loss from the body, probably decreasing the BP, which could account for dizziness episodes and weakness. In addition, diarrhea could be infectious or noninfectious. I would suggest the following:

1. Fluid and electrolyte replacement is very important in acute diarrhea.
  2. Give oral rehydration solution (ORS) powder solution.
  3. Econorm (Saccharomyces) sachet twice daily for three to four days.
  4. Tablet Ondansetron 4 mg two times a day for vomiting.
  5. Give oral fluid and semisolid food initially if he can take foods.
  6. Measure BP. Fluid replacement through intravenous injection may be indicated if there is a very low BP.

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with them and take medicines with their consent. Please give if there is any antibiotic allergy history to guide you to appropriate antibiotics for diarrhea.

Reply to the above questions to guide you better.

Thanks.

|