Q. My 5-year-old son gets loose motion with stomach pain. Will antibiotic help?

Dr. Preeti Puranik

My son is five years old. He has stomach pain and gone loose motion four to five times. He also vomited once. We took him to the doctor and he prescribed Taxim O DT 100 after stool analysis and also given Econorm. He also suggested a stool test again. Today, he had loose motion two times and he is feeling normal. He did not vomit today. I took the sample only for the second time when he went for the loose motion and picked the sample from the toilet pot. His stool report suggests pus cells of four to five numbers. His reaction is acidic and there is no WBC and no other worms. He is eating food normally now. Do I need to give antibiotics now?

#

His stool report is normal. If you have not started giving antibiotics, you can wait for a time. But if you already started giving antibiotics, please complete the course. He can also be shown a response to the antibiotic taken. Continue giving Econorm (Saccharomyces Boulardii). Also, give him syrup Zinconia or Zinsy (ZInc Acetyl syrup 20 mg) per 5 ml once a day for two weeks. This helps in healing the stomach and provides a smooth recovery.

I did another stool and urine test today. I have attached the reports. Now, the pus cells got decreased to one to two numbers as the pus cells were three to four numbers in the earlier report. I have not started the antibiotics as you have suggested. I have started giving him Zinconia. Is there anything you recommend to us to follow to cure this small infection? Any diet suggestions?

#

Both the reports are normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It seems to be a viral infection that recovers by itself within five days of time. You can give Econorm for three days and Zinconia for two weeks. You should give a lot of fluids. Your son can have a few loose stools for the next two days. If you notice blood in the stool, it is necessary to give antibiotics to the son. Avoid giving milk. Curd or buttermilk can be given. Follow a soft diet like sambar with dal rice, curd rice, soup, and porridge. Among fruits, apple and banana can be given.

|