Q. My husband has loose stools, muscular pain and throbbing pain in right side of head. Please help.

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

My husband has a fever, muscle pain, and diarrhea. He took Kankunis tea to help him with his bowel movement. However, yesterday, he experienced muscle pain and fever after having bowel movement five times. He took Alaxan once for the muscle pain and took two Diatabs for diarrhea.

He was fine last night, but this morning he got fever and muscle pain specifically the throbbing pain on the right side of his head. Any movement cause him pain. He also had his bowel twice between 7-10 AM, all liquid and he took Diatabs again. His bowels are all yellowish liquid. He is taking water and Pocari and apple to rehydrate. His body temp is 39.9 now. He is taking Bioflu every four hours since this morning.

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

Does he have any chronic illness like diabetes, or high blood pressure? Is he taking any long term medications previously? His blood pressure is right now on higher side. Is he having blood pressure problems? Does he have any flu or runny nose? Any one in family has Corona?

| 

He is a diabetic and taking medicines to control his blood pressure. His medicines are Renalog and Diltiazem twice a day, Trajenta and Clopidogrel once a day. His insulin is Lantus pen 30 units in the morning. He does not have a runny nose or cough.

His chief complaint is muscle pain and pain on the right side of his head triggered by the slightest movement or touch. He took a laxative two days ago and we cannot control his bowel movement even if he took Loperamide.

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I discussed already diabetes issue to keep his targets. In his age, his blood pressure should be 140/90 mmHg. The one you told is fine as well. We can explain diarrhea as you said it is after laxative but his high temperature cannot be explained with that.

Only right head pain? Is it on the face as well? Does not he have trigeminal neuralgia? Which is pain on side of face and going up to head with irritation of facial nerve if the area is touched. It is a sharp and radiating pain. Bioflu is for flu symptoms with antiallergic effects but you are telling he does not have flu. Anyways if fever remains as high as you told me I will still recommend for COVID-19 test.

Alaxan is not good for him with Brufen which can damage his kidneys. Any preparation with Paracetamol like Panadol or Tylenol will be fine which he can take 750-1000 mg two to four times daily according to the intensity of fever. He can use it morning and evening but if still pain and fever can increase it to three to four times a day.

Loperamide can be taken as two capsules after each bowel motion not exceeding six capsules a day for him. More fluids especially oral rehydration salt (ORS) should be continued. If symptoms persist please go to the hospital there.

|