Q. Can periods cause loose stools?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on May 31, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 11, 2020

Loose stools that are yellowish in color. Only minor abdominal cramping that feels like a period cramp (due to having period for the past two days). Taking oral contraceptive. Abdominal cramping is not continous. Only been occuring for 24 hours.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

I need to know whether the loose stools are really having organic cause or just secondary to functional changes occuring with time of periods. Loose stools are said when stool volume is more than 200 ml in a day, semisolid to liquid in consistency.

Mild abdominal cramping is common when one approaching menstruation, a condition is called premenstrual syndrome which is common condition with various symptoms, not necessarily related to female genital tract. But accompany with emotional and physiologic changes in to abdomen, skin, body blood circulation.

You just make sure, that you take home made well cooked diet. Otherwise no need of any investigation or medicine for now. Take oral rehydration solution ORS in one liter of water, and take 200 ml to 300 ml every time you have loose stools. I could have helped you much if you have provided some more information about that pain and quantity of stools. Well, onset for 24 hours, mild cramping, does not show any alarming symptoms. So do not worry. You can take a gynecologist opinion on this. Take care, have a good day.

Nonspecific abdominal cramp and loose stools? Food poisoning?
Premenstrual syndrome?

Follow up with gynecologist

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Why do older adults get cramps in the calf muscles?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a former marathon runner for about 40 years. With age and bad knees, I am restricted to walk now, but I try to walk at least four days a week for 15 minutes. Recently, when I walk for about half a mile, I am getting cramps in my right calf muscles. I am fine on the exercise bike ...  Read Full »

Do mild cramps, bleeding and lower back pain indicate miscarriage?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old and according to LMP, I am 9 weeks and 6 days pregnant now. I had three previous miscarriages (two chemical pregnancies and one at 5-6 weeks). This pregnancy has been really well until a few days ago. Last week I had an ultrasound and the heart rate was 173. That night,...  Read Full »

What is the solution for PMS and painful period?

Query: Hi doctor, I am asking you on behalf of my friend. Here are the symptoms, which she had around three to seven days before bleeding. All symptoms of PMS along with occasional migraine with glaucoma, nausea, pain in the lower part of spine and cramps. On the first day of bleeding, she is having pain...  Read Full »