Q. Shall I continue the vitamin drops for my 20 days old baby?

Dr. Arun Kiran Malhotra
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 16, 2020

My daughter is 20 days old. She is having loose motion from yesterday night. She passed loose stools for about 8 to 9 times between 8 PM to 3 AM. Only a few days back, we started giving multivitamin drops and vitamin D drops. After having that she seemed to struggle while passing motion and it was little. So, for the past two days we have stopped those drops. I have also attached an image. Can you kindly check and advice? Should we take the baby to the doctor? Does it have anything to do with breastfeeding? Many consider that could be one of the causes. Please clarify it.

Dr. Arun Kiran Malhotra

Child Health Paediatrics
#

• Exclusively breastfed babies do not need medications. Continue vitamin D drops.
  • Breastfed babies can pass 10 to 12 golden yellow stools in a day (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Please do exclusive breastfeeding for six months and give its many advantages to your baby. Wean off formula feed.
  • Please watch her cry, color, activity and urine frequency.
  • Mother's diet should be nutritious with normal spices, vegetables and adequate fluids.
  • If you are in doubt, then you can consult your local pediatrician.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

| 

Thank you doctor.

Please kindly clarify some more doubts. Should we stop multivitamin drops? Should I continue vitamin D drops? Apart from breast milk and drops we are not giving anything else. Drops also we gave as per doctor's advice from hospital. Could the drops have caused loose motion? She seems to struggle a lot while passing. Is it normal? Can you kindly share some more detail on what mom should eat? Can she have spinach, which is hard to digest?

Dr. Arun Kiran Malhotra

Child Health Paediatrics
#

• You can give both multivitamin and vitamin D drops to your daughter
  • You put her only on exclusive breastfeeding. Babies can be fussy at times. She will become fine.
  • Mother can include spinach in her diet.

| 

While breastfeeding, can I get my damaged tooth out?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a 4-month-baby boy. I am doing breastfeeding. My tooth is entirely damaged. So I am planning to remove my tooth. Is it correct or not? I am taking medicine for it. Please tell me a suggestion.  Read Full »

How to know whether your breast milk is sufficient for the baby?

Article Overview: Breast milk is a nature's gift to provide the entire nutrition required for a newborn. In this article, I have highlighted the importance of breastfeeding, a few breastfeeding tips and advise to breastfeeding mothers. I have also explained the ways to understand if the breast milk is sufficient for your baby. Read Article

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
Lactation Counselor

Breast milk is the nutrition which nature has provided and is packed with all that is required for your baby till 6 months of age. Importance of Breastfeeding: A new born healthy baby has to be started on exclusive breastfeeding as early as possible after birth and continued till 6 months of age...  Read Article

Does chickenpox spread through breast milk?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 31 years old and a mother of 7 months old baby. Recently, I have got infected with herpes zoster virus on my back. It is a small patch above my waist. Doctor told me to stop breastfeeding for a week. But, my baby is exclusively breastfed till now and not taking bottle feed after seve...  Read Full »