Q. I have no other symptoms except for the loss of smell and weakness. Please guide.

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

After a birthday party at home, even though I wore a mask, I suffered from flu for about one to two days, before a month. I got recovered from that. I got my first symptom- weakness and fever 17 days after this. Later, when a neighbor died of COVID-19, I self-isolated myself with my family. Today is the 15th day and I do not have symptoms except for the loss of smell and weakness. Can you please guide me on what to do?

Previous history of current medical complaint:

Pneumonia and lung infection.

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you are suffering from loss of smell and weakness.

Loss of smell may result from various reasons like influenza, allergies, and many more. But, nowadays, COVID-19 is considered the main reason for the sudden loss of smell or anosmia. COVID-19 may affect the brain and damage the olfactory nerve temporarily and cause loss of smell. Your loss of smell or anosmia may have resulted from COVID-19 infections. So you should undergo RT-PCR (reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction) test for COVID-19 infection. If your anosmia is derived from COVID-19 infections, it will take time to recover from the loss of smell. It may even take days, weeks, or months to recover.

Viral infections like COVID-19 induced weakness are common in case of any viral infections. So, weakness may take time to subside fully.

Take glucose mixed water if you are free from diabetes mellitus. Glucose mixed water will provide you instant energy and increase your oxygen supply in the blood.

You will get back from your symptoms without any medical treatment, but it will take time. Take care. In case of any other query, ask me.

|