Low Albumin

Does normal diet cause edema in a liver cirrhosis patient?

Query: Hi doctor, The patient is suffering from liver cirrhosis. Will the liver remain enlarged? Or do come back to its normal size after some time? Does having a normal diet develop edema?  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through the details posted. Edema in cirrhosis patients is mainly due to low oncotic pressure in blood vessels because of low albumin. Cirrhosis compromise the synthetic function of the liver and so albumin production gets decreased. It is the albumin, which...  Read Full »

Kindly guide us with the treatment for my mom's liver disease.

Query: Hi doctor, My mom is 70 years old. She has chronic liver disease, cirrhosis, portal hypertension and ascites. Her creatinine is 3. She also has type 2 diabetes. We were informed by her doctor that her liver is not producing albumin and her bilirubin level is very high. Please guide us.  Read Full »

Dr. Ankur Jindal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your mom's profile suggests very advanced stage of liver disease (attachment removed to protect patient identity). She has advanced cirrhosis of liver, which is complicated by the formation of portal hypertension and fluid abdomen. The presence of kidney injury adds to th...  Read Full »

Serum albumin level is low in multiple myeloma patient. Is it alarming?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is a multiple myeloma patient. First relapse 10 months ago. Now her serum albumin is 27 which is low. Is it alarming? She is physically fit and can work sometimes, but fatigue. Her upper side legs are getting a bit fat. She is having Lenalid now. I would appreciate your sugg...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your serum albumin level is low according to the mentioned history. So, it can be considered alarming. If serum albumin is less then 3.5 gm/dl, then it can be a stage 2 category of multiple myeloma according to the international staging system. Prognosis is intermedi...  Read Full »

Is my albumin level low because of my current medications?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an SPEP test, liver function tests, and kidney tests done. All the reports were normal except my albumin level which was slightly below normal. Is this a concern? It is 34. Can it be caused by my current medications? I take oral contraceptives, spironolactone, Prozac, and antihis...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. Albumin is synthesized in the liver and the presence of normal liver function tests clearly indicates that everything is normal. I would also like to clarify that the lower limit of albumin is 35 gram per liter and the pr...  Read Full »