Q. Is my albumin level low because of my current medications?

I had an SPEP test, liver function tests, and kidney tests done. All the reports were normal except my albumin level which was slightly below normal. Is this a concern? It is 34. Can it be caused by my current medications? I take oral contraceptives, spironolactone, Prozac, and antihistamines regularly and Doxycycline for a short while for perioral dermatitis.

#

I read your query and understand your concerns.

• Albumin is synthesized in the liver and the presence of normal liver function tests clearly indicates that everything is normal. I would also like to clarify that the lower limit of albumin is 35 gram per liter and the presence of 34 gram per liter is close to normal, although on the lower side. In my opinion, it should be checked again after a few weeks and if found at the same level or higher, there is nothing to worry about. In case there is a significant drop, the cause should be looked for as further deterioration can have detrimental effects.
  • Regarding your current medications, doxycycline is the one which has harmful effects on the liver. But again, the presence of normal liver function indicates that there is nothing abnormal.

I hope this helps you. Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|