Q. Due to my IT profession, I have lower back pain and shoulder pain. Please suggest treatment options.

Dr. Anuj Gupta

I am running an IT firm for the past four years. Currently, I am having two health issues related to my work.

1. Lower back pain - it started two years back and now it has become worst. Now I cannot ride a motorbike, cannot sit in a normal chair, and cannot even sleep on my sides. I also cannot walk or stand continuously for more than half an hour. Currently, I am using a belt and it is helping a lot.

2. Pain in both the shoulders if they are not in action. Like if I am sitting in the chair for more than an hour without regularly using my hands. The shoulders start paining. This just started a few months back and getting worst.

I have not consulted a doctor yet for both of these issues. I wish to book an appointment and it would be appreciated if the doctor knows Malayalam as my English is not up to mark.

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Surgery
#

Well, you have a typical problem with people working in an IT firm. Tell me first how much physical activity you have in your daily routine.

| 

I was not that much engaged with particular exercises or actions except playing shuttle for less than an hour on almost every day until the lockdown begins. After the lockdown, I will take a morning wake for about 3-4 km daily. Nothing else.

Dr. Anuj Gupta

#

When you have a sitting job then all these problems arise. You have to do make three changes in your lifestyle.

1. Improve posture while working, the screen of your laptop should be at eye level. You should sit on a chair with a good backrest. Do not slouch. After 40 minutes just stand, stretch yourself, and again sit. Do not sit in one posture for more than 40 minutes.

2. Daily walking for 4 km at a stretch. It is not in the whole day, it is in one go.

3. Do back strengthening exercises for 10 minutes twice a day.

|