Q. My husband suddenly started having lower back pain. What to do?

Dr. Maan Singh Dhanjal Dc
Published on May 09, 2017

My husband is a healthy 38 year old, who does not smoke and drink. He has worked hard since he was 11 years old, and he held his current job for five years now, which includes laying carpet and floors of all kinds. He has never had any issue with his body in his entire life up until last week. The pain started suddenly in his lower back as he was lifting a bucket half filled with glue. He did not pay any attention at the time, but the next morning the pain shifted down to his left thigh and hamstring, and it is so severe he cannot even walk or sleep. He said it gets tight for five minutes at a time then loosens up. It has been like this for a whole week now, and he cannot get comfortable with anything. He went to the emergency room a couple of days ago hoping for relief, but he got a pain shot in one arm, a muscle relaxing shot in the other, and a prescription for pain and muscle relaxants. But, nothing seems to work, he uses a heating pad, baths in Epsom salt, uses Bengay, does light exercise like stretching, but the pain remains. Could there be a medical condition causing this muscle spasm?

#

• It sounds like a classic case of sciatica or perhaps aggravated lumbar disc herniation.
  • Your husband will require an MRI of the lower back to confirm the diagnosis. If true, then you should visit a chiropractor to start conservative care. Low back pain can be helped drastically with conservative care.
  • Probable causes:
  1. Repetitive motion injury.
  2. Arthritis.
  3. Deconditioning.
  • Differential diagnosis:
  1. Lumbar disc herniation.
  2. Sciatica.
  3. Sacroiliitis.
  • Preventive measures:
  1. Active lifestyle.
  2. Stretching.
  3. Yoga.

For more information consult a chiropractor online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/chiropractor

Please suggest yoga asanas that would improve blood flow to testicles.

Query: Hi doctor, Please suggest me the yoga names to improve blood flow to the testicles. I have weak erections, watery semen, and loss of libido. I am taking Pantogem DSR for indigestion and Stalopam plus for stress. My local doctor prescribed these medicines.  Read Full >>

Dr. Shakti Mishra
Nutritionist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Continue with the prescribed medication. Along with that meditation, exercises, and yoga can help improve your condition. Deep breathing, inhalation through nose and exhalation through the mouth, improves blood circulation. Suryanamaskar is the most efficient form ...  Read Full

How does yoga help senior citizens?

Query: Hi doctor, What are the health benefits and trends for yoga for senior citizens? Are there studios that have classes or professionals that cater to this demographic? Why choose yoga over other forms of fitness and stretching?  Read Full >>

Dr. Vinod Kumar Goyal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yoga is of two types. One for physical exercises called asanas and the second one is meditational yoga. Both have tremendous benefits for life and health. Physical yoga regulates body glands, hormones and cures many diseases of the body. For different persons and condit...  Read Full

Do Not Ignore Arthritis Symptoms!!

Article Overview: This article stresses upon the fact that, when signs of arthritis appear, one should approach a doctor as early as possible for appropriate treatment. Read Article

Dr. Naval Mendiratta
Rheumatologist

Inflammatory arthritis is a common problem in females between the age group 20-50 years. It is characterized by swelling of the joints, early morning stiffness and pain which is constant and little relieved by work and use of painkillers. It is an autoimmune condition, i.e, body's immune system st...  Read Article

Ask a Chiropractor Now