Q. My lower back hurts a lot. What to do?

Dr. Shakti Mishra
Published on Dec 17, 2016

I have hurt my lower back assumably while pushing a full set of drawers, around four to five months ago. I was in physiotherapy, but I have been discharged and I am waiting to see a specialist. I have been told that it may be an inflammatory problem. My skin is extremely sensitive in my lower back. My lower back hurts a lot and aches. I get constant muscle spasm and cramps all down my left and right legs as well as pins and needles in both feet. I have taken Codeine, Paracetamol and Ibuprofen, but nothing worked.

Dr. Shakti Mishra

Fitness Expert Nutritionist Physiotherapy Yoga
#

• First of all, go for a diagnostic test like x-ray or MRI, so that we can get confirmed regarding the cause. Before that in order to relieve pain do stretching exercises as follows.
  • Lie down flat (face upward) on a mat, put a long bedsheet or towel behind your both legs and try to pull your legs with the towel towards your upper body. Do this thrice daily (20 repeat) in each session.
  • Lie on your abdomen with face facing downward; put three pillows underneath your abdomen so that your lower back facing upward is lifted up. Remain in that position for 15 minutes thrice daily.
  • You can use a lumbosacral belt if possible after getting confirmed by x-ray or MRI reports.
  • Do cat-camel exercise. Come to quadruped position with hands and knee support on the floor, while inhaling move your spine up and head down and on exhalation move your spine down and head up.

Injury.

X-ray and MRI.

Avoid stooping posture, long standing and long sitting.

Revert back with the reports to a physiotherapist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

| 

What does positive Hoffman's sign mean?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29 year old male. I was previously diagnosed with essential tremor, for which I have been taking Propanolol 160 mg for six years. My current symptoms are constant tingling, soreness, and restlessness of the legs. I get spasms in the legs as well as arms. My right eye goes blur...  Read Full »

I am waking up automatically in the midnight. Is it due to my asthma problem?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a body pain in the back left of my body, and I have pain on the backside of the head. Nowadays, I am waking up automatically during midnight, and I have a feeling of having reduced breathing. I am an asthma patient. I am using Budamate 200 inhaler. Is this due to my asthma problem...  Read Full »

Ask a Physiotherapist Now