Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. My lower back hurts a lot. What to do?

Answered by
Dr. Shakti Mishra
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 17, 2016

Hi doctor,

I have hurt my lower back assumably while pushing a full set of drawers, around four to five months ago. I was in physiotherapy, but I have been discharged and I am waiting to see a specialist. I have been told that it may be an inflammatory problem. My skin is extremely sensitive in my lower back. My lower back hurts a lot and aches. I get constant muscle spasm and cramps all down my left and right legs as well as pins and needles in both feet. I have taken Codeine, Paracetamol and Ibuprofen, but nothing worked.

Dr. Shakti Mishra

Fitness Expert Nutritionist Physiotherapy Yoga


Welcome to

  • First of all, go for a diagnostic test like x-ray or MRI, so that we can get confirmed regarding the cause. Before that in order to relieve pain do stretching exercises as follows.
  • Lie down flat (face upward) on a mat, put a long bedsheet or towel behind your both legs and try to pull your legs with the towel towards your upper body. Do this thrice daily (20 repeat) in each session.
  • Lie on your abdomen with face facing downward; put three pillows underneath your abdomen so that your lower back facing upward is lifted up. Remain in that position for 15 minutes thrice daily.
  • You can use a lumbosacral belt if possible after getting confirmed by x-ray or MRI reports.
  • Do cat-camel exercise. Come to quadruped position with hands and knee support on the floor, while inhaling move your spine up and head down and on exhalation move your spine down and head up.

The Probable causes:


Investigations to be done:

X-ray and MRI.

Preventive measures:

Avoid stooping posture, long standing and long sitting.

Regarding follow up:

Revert back with the reports to a physiotherapist online.--->

Was this answer helpful?

1 out of 1 likes

Related Questions:
What are the reasons for left side hip pain?
Apart from anti-inflammatory medicine, what should I do for plantar fasciitis?
I have headache, dizziness and restricted neck movement. Please advice.

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

What does positive Hoffman's sign mean?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29 year old male. I was previously diagnosed with essential tremor, for which I have been taking Propanolol 160 mg for six years. My current symptoms are constant tingling, soreness, and restlessness of the legs. I get spasms in the legs as well as arms. My right eye goes blur...  Read Full »

I am waking up automatically in the midnight. Is it due to my asthma problem?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a body pain in the back left of my body, and I have pain on the backside of the head. Nowadays, I am waking up automatically during midnight, and I have a feeling of having reduced breathing. I am an asthma patient. I am using Budamate 200 inhaler. Is this due to my asthma problem...  Read Full »

Also Read

Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?
Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling w...  Read more»
My head is shivering from 20 days, and it feels like head trauma. What is the cause?
Hello sir, My head is shivering like anything , feeling like trauma is head. And its start anytime in a day and when s...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Physiotherapist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.