Q. Please see the MRI and suggest treatment for right lower back pain.

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 30, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 09, 2021

I have right lower back pain from the past two years. I have enclosed my MRI reports. I take Nucoxia 60, whenever needed, 3 to 4 days when pain increases. I cannot tolerate anti-inflammatory medicine due to stomach upset. The pain always remains, but it reduces when I lie on my stomach. It increases on lying on the back, sitting, and standing. All blood tests including RA factor, HLA-B27, etc., are normal. Please see the MRI and advise diagnosis and treatment.

#

I would have preferred to see the MRI films myself rather than just the to report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• You seem to be describing symptoms of back pain rather than leg pain. This matches with the MRI report that does not show a disc prolapse. Disc bulges are common with age and do not equate to a disc prolapse.
  • What you need to do is the following:
  1. Look at your sitting posture especially, if you have a sitting job, Read about ergonomic office chair position and follow the instructions.
  2. See a good physiotherapist and start doing core strengthening exercises and avoid any exercise that aggravates the pain.
  3. Get some manual therapy over the tender spots with myofascial release done by the physiotherapist.
  4. Get shortwave diathermy of IFT (interferential therapy) or TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation), whichever is available, or the physiotherapist feels the need.
  5. I suggest Ultracet (Acetaminophen and Tramadol) tablets for pain, and this will not upset your tummy.
  6. Apply Voveran TPM gel (Diclofenac) locally.
  7. Do moisture heat pack for pain relief.

Number 1 and 2 are the most important. The exercises will help improve muscle strength and help with pain.

For more information consult a fitness expert online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/fitness-expert

|