Q. My ferritin levels are at 10. 8. Should I get a second opinion?

Dr. Arul Amuthan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 20, 2021

Recently, I got my ferritin levels checked and the results revealed that it was at 10.8. I feel very tired and also I look very pale. The doctors have not contacted me about the results. Should I get a second opinion?

#

• The normal range of ferritin is between 20 to 200. So, your ferritin level is below the normal range.
  • The ferritin is a protein that stores or preserve iron in the body. The liver synthesises the ferritin. It means you have less iron storage. 
  • But, we need to look your iron level, hemoglobin (Hb) level, RBC (red blood cell) level and a hematological smear of your blood. These will tell us whether you are anemic or not.
  • In some people, the iron, Hb, RBC are normal with a reduced ferritin. In those cases, the patients will not be anemic
  • But, if the liver is not producing more ferritin protein, then there is a less iron reserve in the body. Here, we need to give liver tonics to produce more ferritin.
  • Alcohol, smoking and other chemical exposure which affect liver should be avoided.
  • In some people, the iron level is less with less ferritin. Here, we need to supply iron as well.
  • However, your test did not show any dangerous things. If possible, better visit the clinic again.

For further information consult a naturopathy specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/naturopathy-specialist

|