Q. My son's ferritin is low, and he is an athlete. Should he take iron supplements?

Dr. Atul Prakash
Published on Mar 26, 2017

I have a 16 year old son, he runs at the varsity level, for his high school, cross country, and track team. He is a distance runner. He recently had some blood tests done. His hemoglobin was 14.8 g/dL, hematocrit was 44.5 %, and ferritin was 23 ng/mL. I have been told by the team doctor that his ferritin is too low for an endurance athlete and that he should take iron supplements. My son's pediatrician says that he does not need the supplements. Can you offer some advice? Should he take the supplements? If yes, then how much?

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health
#

• I will second your pediatrician and reassure you that, iron is for hemoglobin synthesis, and as the amount of hemoglobin is fine and he is actively taking part in long-distance sports I will not supplement iron.
  • If you are being pressurized then the best alternative is to increase iron-rich foods in his diet like apples, green leafy vegetables, figs, etc.

For further queries consult a fitness expert online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/fitness-expert

I am anemic even after taking iron supplements. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a history of anemia. I have been taking iron supplements prescribed by my doctor for the past few months. After a while, I had an appointment, and my doctor said that I am still very anemic. A few years ago, I had an eating problem. I was overeating, but I did not gain weight. Is t...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are taking supplements regularly then either you do not have iron deficiency anemia, or you are having ongoing blood loss either in periods or stools. The first thing is to get peripheral smear test, and serum iron studies were done. It will let us know whether yo...  Read Full

Is brownish discharge a sign of infertility?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 22 years old. I am not sexually active. I had my periods on the 15th of last month and on 29th I had spotting with some blood. After that, I am experiencing brown discharge. It has been three days now. Please help me.  Read Full >>

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.  If this is the first time you are facing this problem, then there is nothing to worry about. This could be because of stress, strain, anxiety, work pressure, change of place, a change in climate or low blood count. Just take rest, have healthy food and drink plenty of f...  Read Full

Ask a Fitness Expert Now