Q. Does a low level of FSH occur close to menopause?

Dr. Navajith A. Mani

I am 48 years old and have been suffering from heavy menstrual bleeding. I used Deviry tablets for two years, and my periods have been normal after that, but heavy bleeding has been occurring for the past two months. My hemoglobin has gone to seven, and currently using the Regestrone tablet course for a month. I have got thyroid tests done, and they seem normal. My FSH is 2.1. Does this suggest I am close to menopause? Upon ultrasound scanning, the impression is that I have at least fibroids of max size 25 mm* 25 mm. Please help.

#

I am sorry you have to suffer this way, do not worry, I will take care of you and get you better.

Your diagnosis is menorrhagia (excessive bleeding) with anemia (low hemoglobin) and fibroid uterus. Your FSH (follicular stimulating hormone) report (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) means you are still menstrual phase, not menopause yet. If you do not get a period for one year, it will be provisional menopausal and two years, as confirmed.

Do you have any other source of bleeding? Like rectal bleed or constipation? Because your hemoglobin is seven, significantly less.

Fibroid surgery at 48 years is not advised as menopause, and fibroid tumors will naturally shrink.

Thank you for the reply.

I wanted to know what my FSH levels indicate. As mentioned, it is 2.19. Is there anything alarming or immediate action to be taken? Does it indicate anything about my menopause?

Sometimes, I do bleed during constipation but very little. Majorly, it has been due to menstruation. My period was completed days before. Since it was heavy, I had to take Regestrone for ten days as advised by the doctor, and I currently have to take two per day for more than 20 days as advised. Letting you know so that you can understand my FSH results.

#

FSH (follicular stimulating hormone) 2.19 is normal for reproductive age group women like you. No action is needed at present for this present FSH report. This value does not indicate menopause, and the average age for menopause is 48 to 52 years. There may be acute on chronic anal fissure caused by constipation and can cause minimal bleeding, which overall time can cause anemia, so kindly get that assessed.

|