Q. I am on Labetalol for high BP and my heart rate is quite low. Why?

Dr. Isaac Gana

I have high blood pressure and I take Labetalol 200 mg once a day. I was started on this before eight months after my daughter was born. I notice now while monitoring my blood pressure that my heart rate is very low like 53 bpm. Should I be concerned?

#

Your pulse rate at 53 bpm is slightly low but not too low to cause any concern. It can be of concern when it becomes lower and presents with symptoms such as lightheadedness or fainting. In case you develop these symptoms please contact the physician that prescribed the Labetalol about adjusting the dosage.

I do have dizziness that comes and goes.

#

Have you had a general blood count done recently? Or suffered from blood loss? Do you get sufficient sleep of six hours a day? Because there are other causes of dizziness too. In the meantime my advice is that you reduce the dosage of the Labetalol to 100 mg per day. Make sure you check your blood pressure and pulse first thing in the morning before engaging in any activity and record it, to take note of any changes that might occur. You can get back to me in three days with the changes you noticed and the measurements of both your blood pressure and pulse.

|