Q. I am very anxious about constant low resting heart rate. Kindly help.

I am a 24-year-old male. I have health anxiety and over the past few days, I have noticed my heart rates is as low as 46. Upon further research, my fitness tracker has shown a steady decline in my resting heart rate over the past few weeks. A steady drop the low 60s in April to an average resting heart rate of 51 yesterday. I starting to become concerned, should I be?

#

It is usually not a matter of concern. Are you an athlete or involved in heavy activities or vigorous running? It is usually fine to have a resting heart rate in this range especially in individuals who perform heavy activities. It is due to high vagal tone in athletic individuals.

I guess you do not have any symptoms like dizziness on exertion, which may suggest an abnormal form of bradycardia. Also, if your heart rate is rising adequately with exercises then it is unlikely to be an abnormal form of bradycardia.

However, it is better to obtain an ECG (electrocardiography) just to confirm that it is just sinus bradycardia. Alternatively, mobile-based ECG rhythm monitor is also adequate to confirm its sinus bradycardia. Also, it is advisable to rule out hypothyroidism. So it is usually not a matter of concern, but we would like to get it evaluated.

|