Q. My heart rate slows down to 63 bpm with anti-anxiety medication. Why?

Dr. Isaac Gana

I have had really bad anxiety lately and never check my heart rate and decided to check it. It was only about 63 beats per minute, but it was around 90 the last time I checked. I have recently been put on Pantoprozole and an extra blood pressure pill for anxiety. I would say I am very inactive and in a big funk. I sleep a lot and do not exercise. My family history has a lot of heart issues on my grandmother's side and my great uncles. A few days ago, I was having stabbing pains in my left arm on and off throughout the day. They would only last a second at the most and then go away, but I have a wife and a child and do not want to die. I am constantly looking up symptoms and always think that there is something wrong with me.

I am currently on Venlafaxine 225 mg daily, Propranolol 40 mg a day recently upped from 20 mg a day, Xanax 2 mg a day, Suboxone 16 mg a day and Pantoprazole twice daily for GERD.

#

I understand your concern. A normal pulse rate is anything between 60 to 90 beats per minute. So 63 beats per minute is not bad.

I am slightly worried about your weight. The chest pain you are having might be angina. I strongly advise you to do an echo, chest x-ray, lipid profile test, fasting blood sugar test, and ECG (electrocardiography). It is important so as to know the exact condition of your heart.

You need to drastically modify your lifestyle. Join a gym and use the service of a trainer, get a diet plan from a dietician. This will certainly improve your general condition. Get back to me with the results of the investigations.

Do you think it is an immediate concern my heart rate is normally anywhere from 80 to 90 beats a minute and I have not checked it in months? And a few months ago, I started taking an extra 20 mg of Propranolol daily along with Pantaprozole and I have been stuck at home and taking more benzos than I normally would or should roughly about 2 mg Xanax a day? I made a doctor's appointment shortly. I just do not know if I should rush to the hospital or do you think that I can wait until then? My heart rate has steadily been between 58 and 75 beats a minute resting for the last week or so and I have not really had any chest pain or arm pain in days. I am just worried about everything and look everything up and my heart rate. I did it both ways, I used an app on my phone and then I took my actual pulse and counted and it was pretty close. Do you think the medication is doing this? And is it safe for me to do exercise?

#

You do not need to rush to the hospital before your appointment on Wednesday. A normal heartbeat can be from 50 to 100 beats per minute. Yours is normal. There is absolutely no concern.

It is very safe for you to do exercise. You have no reason to be afraid of exercise. The Propranolol slows the heart rate a bit. It does this to avoid the heart from overworking itself. In your situation, it is working perfectly. Your heart rate is just normal.

You can do an ECG, lipid profile, fasting blood sugar test and echo before your appointment on Wednesday. It is not a bad idea after all your physician will most likely require you to do one on that day. So if you do one now, you will take it to him or her on Wednesday. You can send me the results of the investigations to review before your appointment on Wednesday. Also, indicate your blood pressure readings with the results of your investigation.

|