Q. Can piles cause a drop in hemoglobin level?

Dr. Mubashir Razzaq Khan

My hemoglobin has dropped from 7.5 g/dL to 5.9 g/dL in the past two months despite taking the Seder capsule. I had piles six months ago, and I am completely recovered now. I have attached my blood reports.

Kindly review my report and give your opinion on my low hemoglobin.

Thanks.

#

You are severely anemic. As you did not give complete data, I cannot give a proper diagnosis. So, kindly provide a complete report of CBC (complete blood count), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), serum creatinine, ferritin, RBC (red blood cells), folic acid, vitamin B12 to help you better. A low hemoglobin level is said to be anemia.

In grade 1 anemia, hemoglobin is around 9.9 g/dL. This is mild anemia. No investigation is needed at this stage.

In grade 2 anemia, hemoglobin range from 8.9 to 9.8 g/dL. This is moderate anemia.

In grade 3 anemia, hemoglobin range from 7.9 to 8.8 g/dL. This is moderately severe anemia. It is caused due to hemolysis, acute or chronic blood loss, and the causes mentioned above.

In grade 4 anemia, hemoglobin range from 6.9 to 7.8 g/dL. This is severe anemia. Causes include thalassemia, nutrition deficiency, and hereditary spherocytosis. However, blood transfusion is not needed at this stage.

In grade 5 anemia, hemoglobin range from 5.9 to 6.8 g/dL. This is very severe anemia, and blood transfusion may be needed at this stage.

In critically low hemoglobin or grade 6 anemia, the hemoglobin level is less than 5 g/dL. Blood transfusion is needed regardless of the cause.

Kindly revert the reports mentioned above.

Thanks.

|