Q. Hemoglobin is at 9. 8 g/dL at 37 weeks of pregnancy. Kindly advice what is to be done.

Answered by Dr. Uzma Arqam and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Low Hemoglobin or Pregnancy Complications? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

My wife is 37 weeks pregnant and the delivery date given by the doctor is 28th of this month. Two months ago, her hemoglobin was 8.9 g/dL and serum ferritin 36.44 ng/mL. The doctor advised drips with Venofer injections. Four drips (100 ml with two Venofer injections each) have been given. The last drip was given on 17th last month. Now today, the hemoglobin is 9.8 g/dL. One doctor has advised taking two more drips (500 ml with three Venofer injections each) while another doctor has advised us to go for blood transfusion immediately. Kindly advice what should be done. Her age is 28 years and it is the first pregnancy. Other than this, there are no complications. Medicines being used are one tablet daily each of Intig D, Iron One, Mecobel and Folic acid.