Q. How to evaluate the reason for low hemoglobin?

Dr. Nageswara Rao
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My mother is 76 years old. She is diabetic and on medication for around 15 years. She is suffering from typhoid fever. Her hemoglobin level is low at 6. She is also very weak to walk on her own for the past few days. Kindly suggest some advice.

#

• Her condition will improve once her hemoglobin levels go up. She needs to be evaluated for the cause of low hemoglobin.
  • Check her CBP (complete blood picture) with peripheral smear. Also, look for iron, vitamin B12 and folic acid deficiency.
  • Check her blood sugar levels and HbA1c and accordingly you need to modify therapy for diabetes.
  • Also, check her kidney status, heart function, 2D echo of heart, renal function that includes blood urea, serum creatinine, serum electrolytes, microalbumin urine and ultrasound abdomen.

For further information consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

|