Q. How to evaluate the reason for low hemoglobin?

Dr. Nageswara Rao
Published on Jul 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My mother is 76 years old. She is diabetic and on medication for around 15 years. She is suffering from typhoid fever. Her hemoglobin level is low at 6. She is also very weak to walk on her own for the past few days. Kindly suggest some advice.

Dr. Nageswara Rao

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

• Her condition will improve once her hemoglobin levels go up. She needs to be evaluated for the cause of low hemoglobin.
  • Check her CBP (complete blood picture) with peripheral smear. Also, look for iron, vitamin B12 and folic acid deficiency.
  • Check her blood sugar levels and HbA1c and accordingly you need to modify therapy for diabetes.
  • Also, check her kidney status, heart function, 2D echo of heart, renal function that includes blood urea, serum creatinine, serum electrolytes, microalbumin urine and ultrasound abdomen.

For further information consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

My HbA1c is 7.5. Should I continue my tablet for diabetes?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 52 year old female. One year before I went to a diabetologist and took glucose tolerance test. Here is the result, fasting - 128 mg/dL, 1 hour - 340 mg/dL, 2 hour - 196 mg/dL. Doctor prescribed medicine for a month but after that I did not take any medication. Now I would...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ankush Gupta
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have mentioned that took medicine for a month, still your HbA1c - glycated hemoglobin is 7.5 (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is little high. The target of HbA1c should be less than 7. So, I would suggest you to continue with tablet Glycipha...  Read Full

Can raw rice addiction result in low hemoglobin?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from low hemoglobin levels. I have attached my laboratory test report. I have a habit of eating raw rice, which I am suspecting as the reason for this low count. Kindly have a look and prescribe medicines to increase my hemoglobin levels. I am currently taking Orofer XT one...  Read Full >>

Dr. Chaithanya R
Diabetologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do not think that the raw rice is causing this problem, but you are anemic. You can continue Orofer XT at daily one tablet for three months without missing. Stop taking raw rice. I suggest Albendazole 400 mg one tablet a day as this can kill any worms. Consult your ...  Read Full

Ask a Diabetologist Now