How to improve my hemoglobin level?

Q. Please give some advise to improve my hemoglobin level.

Answered by
Dr. Prakash. H. M.
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 05, 2023

Hi doctor,

Recently, I had RARP surgery for prostate cancer. My Hb level post-surgery fell to 10.8 and I was advised to stay on the iron supplement Dexorange syrup one teaspoon thrice daily after meals. In view of ongoing treatment for erosive gastritis, which is now under control, the Iron supplement was started three months ago. Then, my Hb level improved to 12.5. I had a CBC, folic acid, and iron study and I have enclosed the reports for your reference. I am a vegetarian. Please advise further course of action as I have been advised to stop the Dexorange syrup after three weeks and continue with an iron-rich diet. My gastroenterologist is not in favor of long-term usage of Iron supplements. The stomach ulcers due to H.pylori have been treated and the stomach lining restored. Currently, I am taking Nexpro 40 mg on an empty stomach and Librax once at night. My CBC report issued an alert for anisocytosis. My amylase level is around 174 U/L, but pancreatitis and bile duct obstruction has been ruled out. I am taking Unienzyme tablets in the morning and night along with one probiotic capsule Vizylac. Please advise if any attention or investigation or treatment is required further.

Thank you.



Welcome to

Based on your query and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows:

  1. The hemoglobin level is improving. However, it has not improved to the levels that we will be satisfied to stop supplements.
  2. I am also not in favor of continuing supplements when the same nutrition can be obtained through diet. However, if iron-rich diet, particularly a vegetarian diet is sometimes inadequate. During this time, I would strongly advise supplements.
  3. At present, as you are ready to take care of your diet, I would advise you to continue the supplements for another four weeks and then continue with the same iron, vitamin B12, and folic acid-rich diet.
  4. Hemoglobin is good for now. Repeat the test after three months and if it is well above 13 to 14 g%, then continue with the same diet. If it has fallen below 12 g%, then you will need supplements.
  5. Based on normal MCV (mean corpuscular volume) and increased RDW (red cell distribution width), I suspect you are having dimorphic anemia. So, as I specified earlier all three, iron, vitamin B12, and folic acid should be there in the diet.
  6. As all the values are near normal, no further tests are necessary. Only, a hemoglobin test after three months should be adequate. If it is normal, then you can continue the same.
  7. As no specific cause has been found for serum amylase, do not be worried about it at present. It can also be an increase in stress, which you have been under for the past few months. Let us concentrate only on hemoglobin improvement and a nutrition rich diet.

Investigations to be done:

Repeat hemoglobin after three months.

Treatment plan:

Add more iron, vitamin B12 and folic acid in your diet.

Regarding follow up:

Revert back after three months.

Thank you doctor,

For your kind information, I have been on Zincovit tablet to make up for B complex, minerals, antioxidants and folic acid. Shall I continue the same? Do I need to check CBC after three months?



Welcome back to

  1. Yes, continue Zincovit with Dexorange syrup until hemoglobin improves beyond 13 to 14 g%.
  2. If the hemoglobin level is good, then the hemoglobin estimation alone is adequate. A complete blood count test is not necessary.
  3. If the hemoglobin level has fallen below 12 g%, then CBC is necessary to check.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Should I avoid folic acid during MTHFR pregnancy?

This actually poses no bar for taking Folic acid in pregnancy state ...   Read full

Please provide opinion on my complete blood count report.

.. the mentioned history hemoglobin level is low and MCV (mean corpuscular volume) is high, So macrocytic anemia is present (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The cause for which has to be ruled out.   Read full

From the attached reports, please tell me the reason for frequent urination.

.. CBC (complete blood count) and HbA1c reports are available. Please send all reports that are relevant to your complaint. Revert with more information to a nephrologist online --> .. ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Hematologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.