Q. Please suggest me some way to improve Hb level.

Answered by
Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Feb 23, 2017

Hi doctor,

I am a 26 years old married female. My height is 156 cm and weight is 55 kg. I am neither pregnant nor a mother. Before 20 days, my BP was too low, 90/50 mmHg and I felt weakness and breathlessness. I have gone through blood tests and my hemoglobin was found to be 7.8 g/dL. I have attached the reports for your reference. Around three years back, my Hb was 6 g/dL and I had Iron tablets for a course of three months. Before two months, when I checked my Hb, it was again 6 g/dL. It is improving now with iron-rich diet and supplements. But, still, I feel pain in the bottom of my foot and in palm once a day. Please suggest me the way to improve my Hb level.

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I had gone through all the data posted.

  • The reports posted (attachment removed to protect patient identity) shows mainly iron deficiency and vitamin D deficiency.
  • Iron deficiency is commonly seen in menstruating females because of blood loss. Hence, the nutritional need is high. If such requirement is not met, then it leads to iron deficiency.
  • Do you suffer from heavy menstrual blood loss? If yes, then kindly consult a gynecologist.
  • I suggest capsule Vit D3 60,000 IU once a week for four weeks and tablet Cramnil (Magnesium bisglycinate 360 mg) once a day for only two days a week for five weeks. Also, take milk regularly.
  • Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent. Kindly get reticulocyte count and peripheral smear after a week of starting Iron supplements.

Revert with the reports to a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Hi doctor,

Thank you for your valuable advice and suggestion in this regard. I will be grateful if you respond my concern in my report related to RBC. It was mentioned as RBCs - marked anisocytosis, moderate poikilocytosis, predominantly microcytic hypochromic cells with ovalocytes and elliptocytes.

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

I had gone through your query.

  • About the alert that was mentioned in your report is, the size of RBC (red blood cells) are small (microcytic) and other different sizes (poikilocytosis) pencil shaped.
  • These occur with severe iron deficiency. There is no need to worry about that. Please take Iron supplements and iron-rich foods.

For further doubts consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

Can you see the attached CBC report, and let me know if there is anything serious ?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife's iron and ferritin were low, so the doctor ordered CBC. CBC showed low WBC, high monocytes, and high RBC, which is what made us scared. She has schistocytes and elliptocytes among other RBC morphologies. We read about it and are very worried, and she had a C-section three years...  Read Full >>

Dr. Parth R Goswami
Family Physician, General Practitioner, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your wife's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The report shows schistocytes, which are fragmented RBC (red blood cell), commonly seen in hemolytic anemia. So, to rule out hemolysis, serum LDH (lactate dehydrogenase), ret...  Read Full

I have muscle twitching. Is it due to vitamin deficiency?

Query: Hi doctor, For about 10 days, I have muscle twitching in my calf, thighs and also in my eyes. I am worried about it. I got my blood test done. It showed that I have a severe vitamin B12 and vitamin D deficiency. My vitamin B12 was around 50 ng/L. Can these deficiencies be the cause for having muscl...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The duration is too short for any serious ailment. It is generally related to stress, coffee intake, and vitamin B12 deficiency. There is nothing to worry. It will go off.  Read Full

Can vitamin D3 deficiency cause pain in different parts of my body?

Query: Hi, I am a 41 year old male weighing 79 kg. I have vitamin D3 deficiency for the past two years and for which I had Vitamin D3 tablets for three months. Since one year I have pain in my arms, fingers and many parts of the body. Please go through my attached test reports and advice some treatme...  Read Full >>

Dr. Lokesh
Orthopaedician And Traumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.  After going through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), your Vitamin D level is very low, and lipid profile is minimally deranged. I suggest you try taking the following medicines. Consult with your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her ...  Read Full



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Hematologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.