Q. Please suggest me some way to improve Hb level.

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 06, 2021

I am a 26 years old married female. My height is 156 cm and weight is 55 kg. I am neither pregnant nor a mother. Before 20 days, my BP was too low, 90/50 mmHg and I felt weakness and breathlessness. I have gone through blood tests and my hemoglobin was found to be 7.8 g/dL. I have attached the reports for your reference. Around three years back, my Hb was 6 g/dL and I had Iron tablets for a course of three months. Before two months, when I checked my Hb, it was again 6 g/dL. It is improving now with iron-rich diet and supplements. But, still, I feel pain in the bottom of my foot and in palm once a day. Please suggest me the way to improve my Hb level.

#

I had gone through all the data posted.

• The reports posted (attachment removed to protect patient identity) shows mainly iron deficiency and vitamin D deficiency.
  • Iron deficiency is commonly seen in menstruating females because of blood loss. Hence, the nutritional need is high. If such requirement is not met, then it leads to iron deficiency.
  • Do you suffer from heavy menstrual blood loss? If yes, then kindly consult a gynecologist.
  • I suggest capsule Vit D3 60,000 IU once a week for four weeks and tablet Cramnil (Magnesium bisglycinate 360 mg) once a day for only two days a week for five weeks. Also, take milk regularly.
  • Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent. Kindly get reticulocyte count and peripheral smear after a week of starting Iron supplements.

Revert with the reports to a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Thank you for your valuable advice and suggestion in this regard. I will be grateful if you respond my concern in my report related to RBC. It was mentioned as RBCs - marked anisocytosis, moderate poikilocytosis, predominantly microcytic hypochromic cells with ovalocytes and elliptocytes.

#

I had gone through your query.

• About the alert that was mentioned in your report is, the size of RBC (red blood cells) are small (microcytic) and other different sizes (poikilocytosis) pencil shaped.
  • These occur with severe iron deficiency. There is no need to worry about that. Please take Iron supplements and iron-rich foods.

For further doubts consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|